Fuel mileage seems to be dropping?

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by DonW, Jan 23, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. DonW

2020 F250, 7.3 gas. 2500 miles.I was quite satisfied with the fuel mileage when I bought it, but seems to be getting 2-3 mpg less now. Noticed the exhaust pipe is Cole black now inside. Come off like soot on your finger. First 1000 miles or so it was the same galv color on inside as outside. Anyone else experience this?

Tags:
  2. proride phil

Yeah, I noticed that too on my 2020 with the 7.3. I was getting around 15.5 avg on the fwy up to around when the truck had 1,500 miles on it. The last 600 or so, the most it seems to average is around 13.5. I knew going in that the thing was going to be a gas hog and was ok with the 15+ mpg avg,

3. DonW

Obviously dropping 2 mpg and black pipe something is wrong. When I bought the 3/4 ton I said 14 hgwy and I’d be happy@ 70 mph or do. I’m still getting that but it shouldn’t of dropped.... like yours did...... going from the exhaust pipe galvanized collar to Cole black and almost soothe. Just wondered if anyone had the same experience and had the dealer check it. I’ll be getting mine checked this week

4. proride phil

Well, please post if the dealer has any insight. I wasn't planning on taking it to the dealer until the first oil change that I have planned to have done at 5k miles. But if they have some answers for you, I'll take mine in sooner.

5. DonW

I just figure it’s free, something definitely has changed

6. SuperDtyFL

I'm curious to read what the diagnosis is

7. DonW

Me too. Going in tomorrow

8. ifallsguy

What changes did you make to your truck? Where are you located? Are you running winter mix gasoline. Winter gas normally gives you a MPG drop due to the mix. Also how much idle time?

9. DonW

Good thought on the winter mix, I forgot about that. I’m in Florida so not sure if there’s any such thing as winter mix down here. No changes to the truck. Very little idle time....hasn’t changed since new. Also none of that should make the tail pipe go coal black, almost sooty like inside.

10. DonW

Ps, that is not what I call a “gas hog” not for a 3/4 ton truck, it’s better than the 6.2 and lots better tow power

11. DonW

O'k, due to miss communication probably mostly my fault I was NOT on their schedule for them to ck for the fuel mileage, only service. Going back the 23rd...

12. proride phil

Well, comparing it to another 3/4 ton truck, yeah, not quite a gas hog. Comparing it to the 1500 2wd RAM I had with the 5.7 hemi and 8 spd transmission at around 18mpg, and my Jeep Wrangler JK that is averaging 18-20 MPG, yeah, a slight gas hog. Of course, when it comes right down to it, I guess it doesn't matter much in my case, as I hedged my bets as my go to all around vehicle is a Toyota Prius, and at 50-55 mpg average, yeah, no problem..

13. DonW

I had an 18 ram too, same engine, transmission. Kinda light weight for 35’ travel trailer, your Jeep and Prius is too! Drove tractor trailer for yrs, around 8 mpg but a little more than I need for 5th wheel don’t you think? There are people on mopeds getting 100+ mpg but wouldn’t work for me. I compared 14 mpg to18 mpg, 1400 mile trip toMaine, gas something like $250 per gal, made $35 difference?...1400miles! Don’t get all eaten up over mpg. I still saving big bucks over buying a second cheap vehicle for 35mpg around town. I looked into it, real cheap cracker box around $20,000, then the added ins. $2,000 yr maint etc I can buy enough gas to run that 250 around town for yrs! If Ididnt need a 3/4 ton I certainly wouldn’t of bought it but I do want to get the max fuel mileage it’s capable of, that Iwas getting the first 1500 miles, nothing else has changed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  14. proride phil

Yeah Don, I agree. I already had the other vehicles, as the JK is a '13 and the Prius a '14. So those have been paid for for some time. And since I'm retired, they are still low mileage vehicles. The RAM was a '17, and I really loved the truck, as it was just so comfortable. But like you, I needed something more robust so I can upgrade my travel trailer and not worry about cargo weight or towing capacity. I knew the gas mileage would suck compared to my other vehicles since I have friends with gas F250s. So I was pretty pleased that I was getting 15+ mpg unloaded on the freeways, but then, taking the same roads at the same speeds, now it has dropped around 2 mpg. But like you, it's not the gas it takes to run these beasts, as we knew that coming in, but just wondering why the drop after some miles when most other vehicles go up slightly after they are broken in. So just for that, I'm going to hop in the truck and go put gas in it for my upcoming camping trip early next week. Hope I can make it in just one tank full, as it is going to be around 130 miles round trip!!! LOL

15. DonW

I believe you will, in fact I’m sure you will. Hauled ours over Christmas just under 200 and had some left over, can’t remember how much but some

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >