2021 4x4 front spindle

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Bob Stahl, May 14, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Bob Stahl

so i'm working on a 2021 F450 4x4 front bearing replacement.

in a typical bearing r&r you remove the locking hub and reach all the way in to remove the snap ring.

however if the things kind of exploded while being driven and everything in the was busted up into small bits.

the snap ring and stuff in there is all dented and nicked up to the point of breaking you snap ring tools trying to get the snap ring out.

the snap ring will not move,

how do you get it out? very frustrating ...

thanks if any comments or suggestions.

Tags:
  2. DonW

Wow!! 2021, is that kind of soon?

3. Bob Stahl

purchased about 60 days ago with 110,000 miles - now 130,000 - going to ask owners to contact the dealer they purchased it from and ask about service records monday. looking for a ford recommended service intervals for 2021 F450 to see what else it may need and could have been skipped. i found this ;

How often should you replace wheel bearings on a truck?
    Your wheel bearings have a heavy impact on the handling of your vehicle. It would be extremely dangerous to drive with old wheel bearings, as it may cause your wheels to stop turning entirely and abruptly. You should expect to replace wheel bearings every 85,000-100,000 miles. Aug 23, 2021

i guess since they don't use good tapper roller bearings and have switched to crappy sealed ball bearings to carry all the weight of a heavy truck, the load and spin real fast real long .... you better change them every 100,000 miles before they break and bust up a bunch of stuff and cause other problems.

i got the snap ring out today. i had to take a rotary tool with a stone grinding bit and if the hole in the snap ring are at 12 o'clock at about the 9 o'clock position i ground away about 30% of the snap ring material. the spring tension on this snap ring is very high, by removing a little material it reduced the spring pressure required to operate. i took a new pair of snap ring pliers bent the tangs a little and was able to get it out of there.

i wonder if this snap ring really needs to be so stiff to begin with?

4. DonW

Sealed bearings, when did that crap start? Is this common today or a Ford thing?

5. RickKlem

I'm have a 2014 F250 and I'm doing this same job on. I was able to get the old snap ring out using a set of Lisle pliers. My problem is getting it back in on the shaft.
    I'm wondering if it has to be installed. What's its purpose? Was you able to reinstall yours with no issue?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >