Trailer backup camera

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by mbenazeraf, Apr 28, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mbenazeraf

I have a 2020 F250 SD crew cab diesel with 360 cameras, which I use to pull my 5th wheel camper.. It is equipped with the Pro Trailer backup which I already installed.
    My question is about installing a camera on the back of the trailer. So, is this type of camera wireless or wired?
    If it is wired, where does it plug to get the picture on my console display? Thanks for any help

Tags:
  2. Obe Vet Zone

You have a few options here. You could go with any Bluetooth aftermarket trailer camera and link it to the Sync module through the aftermarket camera app. In other words, you would need to download and install the camera app on your Sync module. From what I understand, that is not always possible and the quality sucks because the apps are designed for use on a phone. You could just run the trailer camera from your phone.

Or..

You could buy the Ford trailer camera which comes with a new 7-pin connector/camera connection. The wire connection for the camera is located under the spare tire on the passenger side (its plugged into a dust protection plug). You simply plug it in to the new 7-pin/camera connection. For your 5th-wheel, you may need to snake the wire up to your pin connection if you are using one in the bed of the truck vs the connection at the rear.

I use the Ford backup camera coupled with the Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring system and had the RV dealer install it on my travel trailer. Works great. Camera is powered from the truck, not the RV. Camera video displays on my Sync screen and trailer tire pressure is monitored from the dashboard (it comes up with the truck tire pressure). No phone apps, no iffy bluetooth. Programming the trailer TPMS is pretty straight forward. The downside is the TPMS does not monitor temperature like some other TPMS units.

Because I wanted to monitor whats behind my travel trailer during operation, I installed the Naviks harness to my Sync. It allows me to continuously monitor the backup camera when in motion, kind of like a rear-view mirror. Ford locks out all cameras when traveling >15 mph to be in compliance with the distracted driver rules in some states. The downside to the Naviks harness is that you can't use the truck GPS when monitoring video during operation - which for my 2019 F-250 Limited was not an issue because Ford in its infinite wisdom installed a passenger vehicle GPS in the 2019 truck year. The GPS is totally useless when hauling heavy trailers (a truck or RV GPS routes you away from load/height limiting roads, tunnels and bridges) so I end up using a Garmin RV GPS anyway.

You can view the camera options (there are several) on Ford Accessories website. I strongly suggest that if you go with the Ford camera then you do not order it online but get the part number online and purchase it from a Ford dealer. The online Ford Accessory site sucks, your order will never go through.

Super Duty 2017-2022 Trailer Sensor Kit with Pro Trailer Backup Assist ~ LC3Z1A189A (ford.com)

Naviks Harness: 2017 - 2021 Ford F-250 / F-350 / F-450 / F-550 Super Duty (SYNC 3 v2 - v3.4) Nav In Motion Lockout Bypass + CarPlay In Motion Bypass (naviks.com)

20230501_115709.jpg #ad

20230501_115736.jpg #ad

20230501_115811.jpg #ad

Last edited: May 1, 2023
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >