Diesel Power Running Board

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by kevinj, Jun 21, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. kevinj

I'm new to this forum; I tried to search to see if anyone else has posted a similar question as mine but I couldn't find one. Hopefully, this isn't redundant. A week ago, my power running boards on my 2022 F350 Diesel stopped working, within seconds, my entire truck stopped running. The truck was towed to the local dealer, where they informed me that the module for the power running boards failed. I inquired why that would cause the entire truck to stop working... no answer. I expressed my concern that if an accessory, like a running board, failed, causes the entire truck to fail, it seems exceptionally problematic. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of anything like it? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Tags:
  2. Obe Vet Zone

The Power Running Board module will stop functioning when battery voltage drops below 9.0 volts. It almost seems that the low battery voltage is the cause of your issues. The loss of the PRB module sounds like a symptom and may or may not be the cause.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  3. kevinj

Obe, My concern exactly--the running boards are a symptom of a larger problem. However, they disconnected the running boards, and the truck runs. I'm currently driving with the running boards deployed and disconnected waiting for the new module to arrive for installation. I don't think the battery is the culprit because it is driving fine now. However, my concern is a new module will be installed and whatever happened, or something similar, will happen again--leaving me stranded again. I hate to think that by design, my power running boards have to work in order for my truck to drive. Unbelievable if that is the case.

4. Obe Vet Zone

The Running Board Module (RBM) fault could be causing interference on the Controller Area Network communication and/or the Gateway Module communication, that would cause havoc. A lot of other controller signals terminate at the RBM (like driver and passenger front and back door status, gear lever position, ignition status, vehicle speed).

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >