Adaptive Cruise?

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Desert F-250, Apr 5, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Desert F-250

I recently had my windshield replaced, but decided to not have the camera in the rear view mirror assembly calibrated at the time. It has seemed OK, with the lane keeping a little more sensitive on the passenger side. While on a trip to CO, the Adaptive Cruise seemed to see slow moving trucks in climbing lanes on the passenger side, and really slowed down twice.
    Are the two related?
    TIA

Tags:
  2. Jetjock

Yes I would say so. I had a Ford Explorer that would hit its brakes while traveling down the center lane with a car on the left and a truck on the right and the adaptive cruise would hit its brakes hard with no conflict straight ahead. Had Ford calibrate under warranty and all was fine.

Desert F-250 likes this.
  3. ifallsguy

Anytime the camera is moved or the windshield is replaced, the owner's manual says the camera must be calibrated. If it was an insurance replacement, they should have done this automatically as part of the replacement. If done by the dealer and under warranty, go back where it was done (insurance or dealer), and tell them to complete the work period. Calibration is considered a major part of windshield replacement. If you paid to replace the windshield yourself, it still should have been included with the cost of the replacement.

We replaced the windshield on my wife's 2019 Edge while on a trip (rock hit on driver side). Local dealer had OEM glass and replaced it, but didn't calibrate the camera. The car would slow down for every sign on the side of the interstate on the way home. Went to our dealer, who looked at our receipt (covered by insurance) which stated "no calibration required", took the car into the shop and had it recalibrated. Service writer asked who our insurance company is and notified them the work by the first dealer was improperly done. That dealer caught it from both Ford Corp and the insurance company. My dealer was paid for the work they did by the insurance company, the dealer we had the glass replaced at is off the approved list with the insurance company and I received a free oil change (will use on my 2020 F-250 6.7) to be paid by the dealer who screwed it up (the string attached--I cannot name the small town Ford dealer in a state which starts with a letter that comes after the letter S. For a $300 oil and fuel filter change, I agreed). Charging an insurance company for work not done AND getting caught isn't my idea of keeping referrals coming in, especially since other insurance companies do hear about it.

Desert F-250 likes this.
  4. Desert F-250

I thought as much, but I bought the truck used, (not from a Ford dealer), and the windshield had already been replaced. The only reason I found out was because the mirror became loose. I was out of the area where I bought it, so I took it to a Maaco shop, and they reattached the mirror for free. They offered to calibrate for $350, and I declined.
    I'll have to go back where I got it and check on getting the calibration done.
    Thanks

5. DonW

Fortunately for me, as my 20 f-250 xlt doesn't have the adaptive cruise I still know how to apply the brakes manually.......or IS that a bad thing?

6. ifallsguy

You neglected to say what year the truck is. Could it be under warranty? Even if not, you might want to check with a Ford dealer for the cost. Also, if you were able to find out who replaced the windshield, you might be able to get them to finish the job correctly.

7. Desert F-250

It's a 2019, so still under warranty. The local Ford dealer said because they didn't change the windshield, warranty won't cover it. I asked about price, and they said about 1 hour labor.
    Still a lot better than Safeco.

8. EBau

After hearing from family members how it worked in their GM vehicles. I was pretty skeptical. I only got a thousand miles on my truck so far and Absolutely love it. I don't mind the occasional jump on the brakes whenever someone pulls in front of you because I live in Houston and when I said it I pretty much just Have to steer the truck.
    Edit: most of the complaints that I heard Were about how aggressively the vehicle accelerated after. That's not the case with my truck. While it doesn't necessarily take its time getting up to Speed it's definitely not what I would consider aggressive or uncomfortable.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >