< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Woody

Purchased a 61 f100 4x4 with a 292 in it and I was wondering if the 292 is worth rebuilding?

Tags:
  2. RP67F100

I’m my opinion they were a good dependable engine that ran many miles. But they are a fairly low rpm engine, so ai would say it would depend on what you plans and use of the truck would be
    Either way it will be fun

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

A good engine with a strong bottom end.

4. captchas

agree with above, but it's way cheaper to build and swap in a ultra reliable small block Windsor , and a newer transmission . personally i have a 57 y block 292 in my shop, when we took it apart we found the block was already 060 over and would need to be sleeved , ,the crank was 030/030 try to find a useable one. ,1 head had 3 cracks in the port seat area, both needed new seats on both valves, the block it self was cracked but stich able. real world the engine could be rebuilt but cost wise well beyond practicable
    heres a few examples of kit costs
    http://greenbaypartsworld.net/webstore.cfm?action=product_view&page=F292A, http://greenbaypartsworld.net/webstore.cfm?action=product_view&page=F302A

5. Oldiesask

I like the 292 in my grain truck, yeah it's small, but man does it have torque! If I ever get around to my '62 F100 project I will definitely rebuild the 292.
    Note the motor mounts on your engine and transmission, a swap will be all or nothing. Is your present engine running? or at least free? I would tear it down and inspect before making a decision.

6. RP67F100

Fond memories (although not smart) of Y blocks flying down an old 2 lane to the beach in a cut down 55 crown Vic beach buggy . 292 with 2 right hand manifold for duals, and the crossover ends made to exit through the hood and uncapped and the foot tall blue flame at night. Way too fast on the 15”wide balloon tires.
    Then as as 16 yo vol fireman in our home made F600 truck. 750 gals of water, 312 4 brl Holley and duals, and 2 spd axel. Who knows age or condition of the tires, going 80-85 mph to a fire in the Ocala forest
    Lucky to be alive.

captchas likes this.
  7. captchas

lucky to be alive fits many of us old timers who grew up around the old y blocks and flat heads , never mind a 50's hemi stuck into a model a .

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso