2X4 to 4X4 conversion

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by starairmotive, Jan 26, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. starairmotive

I own a 1974 F350 2x4 140" single axle rust free truck. I'd like to make this truck a 4x4. What are my best options? Thanks

Tags:
  2. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

How are you going to use the completed project?
    Lift?
    Tire size?
    Engine Drive Train?

3. starairmotive

Thanks for your response, I bought it in 2003 from my uncle who bought it new so I've been around it for a long time. I've always loved the body style. owned a 77 f250 for over 40 years I just use it for general use, we get a lot of snow in winter & 2wd is a pain. I do have a little 4x4 ranger although your not going to hall much. It's got the 390 auto which is ok though I'd rather have the 460. I made a mistake on my intro letter, it's the longer 155" wheel base so I think it might be hard to find a 4x4 chassie that would fit although I'm just looking into my options & don't know much at this point. As far as the lift & tire size I don't plan to get crazy the rear wheels are the original 16.5 X 12 so I can do whatever works out, I'm not into monster height & tires. Once again thanks for your response.

4. starairmotive

Ok I'm an aircraft mechanic not an auto mechanic so here are the questions I have, would it be better to change out the entire frame with a 4X4 frame or find the 4X4 front end parts & install them on my existing frame? I don't know if that's even feasible.

5. iicap

Your f-350 2X4 has twin eye beam suspension, coil springs. Ford DID NOT make a factory built F-350 4X4 until 1979. I've had experience with one in my lifetime and it was, I guess a low rider, not like a Hi Boy, it had single rear wheels, tires were low and wide , like Super Singles. I have never seen a 79 F-350, 4X4 for sale.

4X4 F250's, which is the chassis you would have to look for, would have had leaf springs in front. Changing all you sheet metal over would probably be easiest, compared to fabbing you chassis for leaf springs, adding a transfer case, spacer blocks to rear springs/axle, driveshafts, etc.

On getting a 4X4 250 chassis, you have the opportunity to go thru all of it, before the swap. Cleaning, painting, brakes, brake lines (new stainless), hoses, shocks, rubber mounts where/if needed, etc.

On the 390, that engine should do all you could want. Mid to late 70's each year more and more emission controls were added to trucks 79 being the worst (in my estimation) and they became slugs. Biggest culprit, they added heavier springs to the mechanical/centrifugal advance in the distributors. This can be discussed, if you choose. Cap

6. starairmotive

That's great info just the kind I'm looking for thank you very much!! The only one I've ever seen was at a car show at the Chelan airport in Washington state, a young kid and his dad built it, a 1976 F-350 4X4 with a 460 I don't know what chassis they used, he said he & his dad started with a 76 F-100 cab & box, and went from there maybe some of you guys out there have seen it, it's bright orange raised with some pretty big tires they did a really nice job & have won many awards. I'd like to find him for more info on just what they did with the chassis. The 1977 250 I had with the 460 didn't have too many emissions yet and seamed pretty bullet proof I put 196K hard working miles on it till it had a fire, too sad. Any other info on what chassis might work with my cab & box would be most helpful, the 250 did well but I'd really like to stick with the 1 ton if possible. Thanks again for the info

iicap likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >