3.0L v-6 water pump heater hose fitting question

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by jniolon, Aug 1, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Hi Guys... got a Generac 30kw standby generator... it has a ford v-6 3.0 engine. The water pump has a heater hose outlet pipe... typical metal pipe with a bubble flare at the hose end where you clamp on the heater hose.. since the generator has no heater this fitting has a rubber cap held on by a screw clamp... every couple of years this cap deteriorates and either sprays antifreeze every dang where or just seeps till the coolant level is below the sensor and the generator will not run (no/low coolant fault).. the metal fitting seems to be press fit into the water pump (no obvious threads or hex fitting to screw it out. I don’t want to screw it up and it cost me a new water pump... I also don't want to remove the water pump and make major work out of this... I'm old and lazy and recovering from a hip replacement

the question... is there another way to seal this metal fitting permanently instead of the cap that deteriorates ?? something plastic or metal that can stand the heat and vibration and not leak I’m about ready to drive a wooden plug in it !!! somebody has got to make something that will work...

shop content... it keeps the lights on in my shop when it’s running (and not leaking antifreeze)

thanks
    John s-l1600.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

It's just for a non functioning heater ,why not just run a heater hose from it and back to the manifold..?

3. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

there's no place to do that... no input on manifold... remember this is on a generac generator... and I'm trying to get around rubber parts that deteriorate.. so I was looking for a permanent "stopper" that would not deteriorate.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Can the pipe be pulled out and replaced with a freeze plug?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Or something like this?

wp4.jpg #ad

wp6.jpg #ad

6. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

wish I had a picture to show you... I do not repeat DO NOT want to pull the water pump... it's a major deal on the front of this engine inside the generator cabinet... I wonder about pulling it and inserting a freeze plug (if I could find the right size. it really looks like there is a sleeve/bushing in the water pump housing and this pipe is pressed into it...... and not sure how to get a hold of it to pull it... crap, let me go take a picture

7. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

now, here's what we're dealing with...
    first pic of the outlet... it's almost vertical and looks to be a pressed in fitting. (1096)

second pic showing what looks to be a brass insert/bushing that the fitting is pressed into...(1099)

third pic shows lack of wrenching room to pull pump... have to remove the fan guard to get to bolts that hold fan and allow the pump to move forward 1095)

I haven't mic'd the tube to see actual size to check of freeze plug is avail... don't want to think about threading the hole with the other assorted crap in the way..

hence... looking for an 'easy' way

Img_1096.jpg #ad

Img_1099.jpg #ad

Img_1095.jpg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso