35 inch tires

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Dayne.s, Sep 7, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Dayne.s

So I have a 2016 f150 5.0 all stock, i want to put 35 inch tires on it what all would i need to do? Upgrade exhaust, headers? Lift, level? Etc. Any input i will take

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

On a stock truck you can get 34 inch tires to fit as long as they aren't too wide. For 35 inch tires you'll need a 2 inch or greater lift kit. 12.5" wide or less will work with stock wheel offsets.

You might want to change the axle ratio as it's going to feel a little down on power. Also, a tuner where you can adjust the speedometer so it's not off.

3. Dayne.s

What axle ratio would be recommended?

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What tire size is on it now, and what axle ratio? You'll see a code on the driver's side door frame, white decal. Post that code here. I'd probably go with a 3.73 if you have a 3.31 ratio now, 4.11 if you have a 3.55 or 3.73.

5. Dayne.s

265/60/18

6. Dayne.s

Here[​IMG]#ad

7. Dayne.s

So another question, on my truck one I hit 105 it stops going any faster, but its only in gear 4 or 5 out of 6 what is causing this?

8. Dayne.s

Better photo sorry its upsode down[​IMG]#ad

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Depending on the PCM code, the factory speed limiter is between 99 and 105 mph.

You have 30.5 inch factory tires with a 3.31 electronic limited slip axle. Going to 305/70/18 tires (34.8 inches) you'd need a 3.73 to be closest to stock engine speed and speedometer reading, if you want about the same amount of power. A 4.11 gear ratio would help more since the tires will be heavier. Either way it won't be cheap since its an electronic locking differential.

10. Dayne.s

So what would be my best bet then? I obviously want to be cheaper but idk now

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

3.73 gear is going to get you there without having to buy a tuner to adjust the speedometer, at most 1-2 mph off at highway speed. And since it's a standard ratio (4.11 isn't for that setup) you can probably buy the entire axle from a salvage yard pretty cheap.

12. redprowler

Were you able to push through with the installation of 35-inch tires? I'm planning to get new tires at 4WheelOnline but I'll start with 33-inch since I haven't lifted mine yet.

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Its the PCM limiting it. Ford does this for a multitude of reasons. Tire speed ratings and even more important, the drive shaft is not rated for high speed and if a u-joint lets go at that speed it WILL catapult the truck, killing you.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >