351 windsorquestions

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by beeswax, Aug 14, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. beeswax

I just bought this sweet 1965 f100 with a 1984 351 Windsor with Rochester 4 barrel. It seems like it has a slight miss maybe a dead plug, and when imash it, it backfires andhesitates then sluggishly takes off. Any suggestions on what to look at. It was tuned up right before I bought it, but it definitely is not a smooth acceleration.

Tags:
  2. captchas

welcome to the site

rochester?? ford never used one, if it's a factory 4 barrel it's a holley single feed also known as a modified holley with the fuel line feeding into it from the drivers side of the carb. again ford never used a GM carb,

sluggish could be a bad accelerator pump ,timed wrong , starting point is doing a compression and leak down test, ohms test of the plug wires, inspection of the dizzy cap and rotor,

3. beeswax

So sorry, I just walked out there to get he manual, it’s an Edelbrock performance series carb.

4. beeswax

I check the distributor cap, I’ll have to take it to the garage for the timing check, but that makes sense because when I have to restart it, it’s sluggish like out of timing.

5. captchas

thats simply a carter AFB style carb from the 60's made today by weber for edelbrock . good chance it has a bad accelerator pump, start checking all the basics. compression,leak down, wires, remove the valve covers check that it hasn't wiped out a cam lobe as it's a flat tappet cam .

6. beeswax

Ok, that’s sounds like a good start. Here’s a picture.

A9F54A5A-3419-41C0-8297-B6F6C5525496.jpeg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >