3rd Brake Light

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by BlueOvalFitter, Jun 10, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. BlueOvalFitter

2007 F-150 XL, 4.2 V6

Hello all.
    I need a new 3rd brake light. I want to order it from EBAY. Anyone here buy one from EBAY? Did you have to apply any sealant, gasket material, double side sticky tape, etc.? I want one that is plug and play. And, I don't want a DORMAN brand.
    THANKS!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd first see if the same part is available on Amazon for less. There's a disturbing trend that's been growing on Ebay for several years: Amazon arbitrage. They use software to automatically place items on Ebay from Amazon listings with the price slightly higher. You order, and it automatically places an order from Amazon and ships to you.

3. BlueOvalFitter

I have checked AMAZON. They only offer a few selections, which are out of my price range. In fact, my son drives an 05 Lariat and needed a 3rd brake light 2 years ago. I bought it from AMAZON for $35. That same light is now $65. EBAY offers 1K's of them for prices starting at $15. And, yes, you do get what you pay for. If I had more money I would buy a better one. But, I need one NOW! Mine currently has one with a crack 4" long a 1/4" wide. A pc. of duct tape covers the hole.
    About EBAY getting products from AMAZON, I know they buy things from AMAZON. In fact, the last 2 times I bought Keurig type coffee from EBAY it was shipped to me from AMAZON. I don't care if EBAY buys it from AMAZON, as long as EBAY sells it to me at the price I was quoted.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

As far as plug and play, do you mean one with bulbs already included, seal, etc.? I still have my factory unit, but I sealed it with a very thin layer of gasket sealant due to all the complaints I've heard over the years about leaks.

5. BlueOvalFitter

Ken, I have so much silicone on the current 3rd BL it's going to take a come-a-long to get that baby out! I dread having to replace it! :nailbiting:

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What I did was put a really thin layer on the original gasket (wiped it down with my finger), then let it dry completely before I put the lamp cover back on. It came off pretty easily last week, I took out the regular incandescent bulb for the cargo light and put in an extremely bright LED bulb in there.

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

RTV sealent is very versatile if you treat it like an art, rather than just globbing it on. In RV use, what is done is to lay a bead along a crack or a piece of trim, and then wipe away the excess with a wet rag, or a licked finger (!) believe it or not.

The result is a line of RTV that is under the item being sealed, but with no nasty looking smears or blobs along the line of application. You want it as invisible as possible, so that it is never even noticeable...

(BigRigFixer knows all about that, so does CampSpringsJohn I bet)

TWO NOTES:
    1) RTV forms a bond that is easily releasable (you can pull it apart), but fills minute cracks, crevices, and such water tight - even if you can't see it.

2) Anything intended to REPEL WATER does not stick to WET SURFACES well at all - always apply it to a dry item or surface to avoid unsatisfactory cursing and yelling!!! :cool:

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Just a thought that crossed my mind about this topic....

Another good option is weatherstrip glue. It comes off easier than gasket sealant, and for something like this where you're not sealing something where there's a pressure differential or oil (like engine gaskets), it will keep the weather out well.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >