Explorer 4.0 Death Rattle

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by JWC 3, Jul 18, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Here goes .
    I have an 04 Mounty , 4.0 .Bought it with 29K on the clock . I now have 180K on it .
    I have done a few timing jobs on these engines for customers . Most shy away after the price quote .
    So , I am only looking at parts , my labor , and time to do it .
    Just starting to show a bit of noise out of the front .
    Has anyone replaced Just the front asy. with good results ?
    All I have done required a full set front and rear. They were so far gone .
    I can do the front with the engine in place , but , I wonder if doing both would be better .
    Looking for opinions on the future task I will face .

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Keep in mind, both have the same amout of time on them.
    I tried just doing the front on my one son's, and got away with it, only because he sold the truck soon after

IMHO, it really don't take that much to pull the engine out and place it on an engine stand, and do them all at the same time.

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Those SOHC's are nice on power...............but not so nice when this comes up.
    I know will stay with the old OHV 4.0 for just this reason.

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I see more issues with the front timing chain asy. on these .
    I think the wise choice is to replace all timing components , but....
    The wife is not keen on being out of her ride for more than a day !

56panelford likes this.
  5. ncranchero Founding Member

It's a real shame the Explorers had so many timing chain and transmission problems. I really liked my 2002 Sport Trac but decided to just let it go before anything went to crap. It only had 87K on it. Well, also my transportation needs changed so it wasn't all fear of it exploding.

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

A small update , I did an oil change with Lucas added . After a few runs , no more noise ... Just renting time .
    But , It is well needed time now . Kids moved back in and brought kids ... That sort of thing .

56panelford likes this.
  7. NRA4ever Founding Member

I guess all the rangers & other trucks had transmission problems with the autos. I never had a 4.0. My 3.0 was bad enough

8. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I stay away from automatics in Rangers, the 5spd manuals are very good though.
    4.0 OHV is a very reliable stout motor with plenty of torque, the 4.0 SOHC I hear bad things about.

9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

And now I own one.................................on both accounts.
    So far, so good!

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

use of the proper oils, and regular oil changes goes a long way Dave.....

11. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm used to listening to my old solid lifter 2.8...............This 4.0 SOHC is SILENT by comparison.
    As for the automatic, got the same one in the wifes Explorer, and it's never given so much as a whimper of protest (I do keep up on the maint. though)

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

If/ when yu add ATF, start using mercon 5 in them.
    That's the latest from my buddy at the service dept at the local Ford dealer here that repairs my transmissions when (if) I break them

13. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I haven't had to add anything between services in the Explorer, but I will ask for M5 next time.
    The Ranger just went through the Ford dealership and had a complete transmission service, so I assume M5?

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso