4.6 out 5.4 in help

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Jlemons2879, Jun 10, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jlemons2879

I have a 07, f150 4.6 auto 4x2 and wanting to know if a 5.4 from 04 f150 4x4 will bolt up or what needs to be swapped? Pcm? Exh man? Harness? Most importantly transmission's? (transmission's are not swapping) This is only a temp swap to rebuild the 4.6 to drop back in the 07 it came 0ut of. Currently the transmission is dead on the 04 5.4 4x4 so talk to me please.. I know plenty but don't claim to know it all. But I've been shadetree turning wrenches for 25 yrs. But more knowledgeable in pre-fuel injection. Just needing to know if this will be a simple swap or am I opening a can of worms I shouldn't. Thanks.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You'll need the harness, coil-overs, PCM since it needs the variable cam controls, exhaust will be different due the taller deck height of the 5.4L,

You'll also want to take it easy on the transmission since the 4.6L's 4R70e isn't as stout as the 4R75E used with the 5.4L.

I think overall it's going to be a lot of work - the 4.6L is not a simple drop in replacement.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso