< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 5.0FordGuy

Hey all, has anyone done a 4.6 2v swap into one of our trucks? Recently picked up a 2wd F150 with a questionable 302 in it, not sure if it will run. I happen to have a good running 4.6 out of a 97 F150 with fairly low mileage on it that I picked up for a different project that went another direction. So, in true hot rodder fashion, I would like to use what I already have and build a cool little daily driver. That said, if you have done it, show me your swaps and what you did to get it done! I am also going to try to use the AOD that is currently in the truck if possible, as the 4.6 came out of a 4x4.

Tags:
  2. captchas

personally i would give it another 302 or even a 351 and have fun .

3. 5.0FordGuy

Personally, so would I, but when I am spreading my already thin money between 3 projects, I am inclined to work with what I have lol.

4. captchas

hear that tends to keep the pocket screaming uncle

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You're going to need the PCM, wiring harness and sensors. Then swapout the OBDI system, sensors, etc for OBDII. Next, the bell housings are not compatible, so you'll need to swap in a 4R70 or 4R100 transmission. The output shaft will not line up with the previous location and you'll need a custom drive shaft.

Once you have these things, you'll need to figure out how to mount the engine and still clear the oil filter because your truck has a much tighter frame and you're going to have serious clearance problems with the oil filter. After all this, space is extremely tight for the current braking system due to the wider 4.6L and you need to swap that out... a whole new project.

Budget is not a good reason to do this swap, it could easily cost you more than swapping another 5.0L into it. And if the new transmission isn't the same type that the 4.6L was attached to, you'll also need a custom programmed chip to change out the transmission type the PCM is controlling - that adds several hundred dollars more.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >