< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Make Fords Great Again

hey all..my truck is a 1990 f250 4x4 with the 5.8..the 5.8 being the reason for posting..
    Got her as a non runner some years ago..Even after rebuild and parts thrown..She has never ran right..
    Did some engine dmg the other day..And the choice is rebuild the 5.8, that i dont like..Or put the tower of power 300 6 in her..
    But i cant find to much information about the max GVWR an f250 with the 4.9 could come with..
    I live in CA and i need to meet all the wonderfull smog laws and getting the truck past the referee will be impossible if the 4.9 never came with a 8800 GVWR.. So if anyone knows or can spare some info..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

89 is the last year for the 4.9 4x4 f 250, and I had to order that truck, they didn't want to build it.
    You will have to go by standards for that.
    My truck is in Md, and not a California truck, so emissions are different set up. also, my truck is GVWR at 10,000 lbs
    I have to wonder if you rebuilt the 5.8 already why you would have to go through it again

90 5.8 emissions are a interesting challenge. I rebuilt one here, and can take some pictures if that would help

3. BKW Founding Member

AFAIK, the engine size has nothing to do with the GVWR

1989 F250 4WD: TYPE/GVW F261 Regular Cab Pickup 133" wheelbase = 6,800 lbs // TYPE/GVW F268 Regular Cab Pickup 133" wheelbase: 8,600 lbs.

Parts catalog says nothing about engine size.

4. Make Fords Great Again

dustybumpers..i sure hope your wrong about the year cut off..that would ruin my plan from start..the engine needs to be same year or newer for CA smog..but i have seen some f250 1990 4.9 on sale online...so maybe they got the year wrong or i hope to god your wrong...but the 5.8 is such a bear to work on..here in CA im not sure about others states...but we have air injection that runs to both heads,the exhaust manifolds and cat...doing any engine work is discouraging at best...so rebuilding the 5.8 again is almost not worth it...and the truck that you orderd with the 4.9 was it a cab and chassis model?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I thought the F150 engine options were also available on the F250+, all the way through 1996? This includes the 4.9L, 5.0L, and 5.8L. The only unique gas engine between the two should have been 7.5L available in the F250+.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yes, cab and chassis, I was going to put a utility bed on it, later put a box off a 87 pickup

IDK Ken, when I sat down to order the truck, the salesman said it couldn't be ordered with that powertrain combo.
    I walked out, told hem Chevrolet would be glad to build me a truck
    The next day, got a phone call, he told me the truck could be ordered, it's a 268 like Bill states.
    It may have something to do with the 4x4.
    This truck has a ZF5 transmission, most of the others have a Mo5.

I can tell you, this truck is a nightmare to buy parts for.

Simple things like emergency brake cables have to be removed from the truck, and matched at the parts store, or you WILL be going back

7. FordBoy89

Hey i'm new here. I thought the 4.9L carried on until the 91-97 eras. Maybe i'm just wrong.
    Or is it strictly the F-250 groups the discontinued the use?

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

F 150 carried the 4.9 until 96
    It became mass air in 95, and 96, wouldn't keep up with "expected emissions" so was dropped in 97 in all but industrial use

You still see them from time to time powering wood chippers, gensets, etc

9. FordBoy89

Oh ok. Supposedly UPS trucks used to use them all the time.

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Maybe
    Most of the ups trucks I've met since the 80's have been diesels

11. FordBoy89

Well...might have been the smaller ones...idk. You can thank wiki for that one.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Not saying it isn't true. Just saying around here they are all diesel

13. FordBoy89

Well I havent seen any either. I think they are starting to use the 6.2 V8 now i think.

14. Make Fords Great Again

ok so little update..the 4.9 is an option...ill need to set an opointment with a referee to set it in stone..but thats the easy part according to what i have found...the maunal transmission that came behind the 4.9 and 5.8 f-250 trucks is a zf that only fits those two engines..so the transmission that came behind the 7.3 and 7.5 are not options...it seems the transmission i need is rather rare...and the only ones i can find are 2 or 3 states away from me...so the cost is going up and up...so at this point im at a stand still..do i drive 800 miles to buy a transmission for 750 bucks or stick with my autotragic bruce jenner, that is going out, first is slipping and second grabs funny...so at this point im looking for a junk yard truck 5.8 or 4.9 manual 4x4...alot of little parts i need to pull..if anyone has for sale thad be great..lol

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  15. FordBoy89

I would not go that far for a transmission. Just see what you can find at a junkyard. I'm sure they're out there.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Tags:
virtuoso