4X4 vacuum locking actuator

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by kossuth2016, Aug 28, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. kossuth2016

My vacum hub seem to be spuratic on trying to fail I keep getting a random grinding noise like trying to put a manual transmission in gear while setting still with no clutch. My question is can I disconnect the vacum line from my hubs and still drive the truck without tearing anything up in my transfer case or front end. Thanks

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have seen it done. The truck is still going strong. I would find the problem and fix if it were mine.

dustybumpers likes this.
  3. kossuth2016

Yea gonna fix as soon as i get back in this weekend just need to make the drive home from where it's parked about 50 miles. Just not sure what the problem is. Hope its my vacuum pump and not my hub actuator or vacuum line. Not sure how to tell either

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The problem is the location of the vacuum actuator
    Water from the windshield comes down, and contaminates it, and gets into the system.
    It eventually gets into the lines, and ruins the hub

JWC3 walked me through the process of finding the problem on my truck, and I ended up replacing the hubs and the actuator
    I will do a write up as soon as I can
    Here is a picture of the inside of the hub
    037.JPG #ad

This is the actuator
    001.JPG #ad

038.JPG #ad

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. kossuth2016

Yea ended up with all new IWE and actuator pump in the end was worth it knowing it will all work now

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

It worked before, but was only a matter of when it would stop.
    It also was a horrible grinding noise

I also found the upper ball joints, and tie rod ends to be bad as well, so it was a well needed repair

7. kossuth2016

Mine was random at best but sounded like it was falling apart so just replaced it all my ball joints were good just done a leveling kit and alignment shop said they had just been replaced right before I purchased it. I asked how he could tell he said he was the one who did it so that's nice to know

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You need to replace the actuator then. You have a water intrusion problem.
    Water is getting in the vacuum lines

You know they vent too, might want to check that they arent sitting down in the frame
    004.JPG #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso