5 Quarts Low??! 2012 F150 5.0

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by TomFord, Apr 7, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. TomFord

I have a 2012 F150 XLT 5.0 V8. I bought it 2.5 years ago, second owner. Original owner was an elderly man who took exceptional care of the truck (very routine maintenance at Ford dealership where he bought it). It had @ 132,000 miles when I bought it. It now has 149,000. I have the oil changed about every 4,000 miles roughly.

I have always put 5W 20 Valvoline synthetic blend in it - except for about 2 oil changes ago, when the shop mistakenly put 5W 20 full synthetic in. I have since switched back to blend. Each time I have the oil changed, it is usually @ 1 quart low. I am currently about 4,000 miles since my last oil change and was about to have it done in the near future. 2 days ago, my low oil pressure light came on. I went to the closest parts store, let the truck sit for 15 minutes turned off, then checked the oil. There was nothing on the dipstick. I went in the store and bought 2 quarts. After filling, still no oil on dipstick. It ended up taking 5 full quarts to get the middle of the proper fill zone on the dipstick! Where in the world could all of this oil have gone?

I have had a very slow rear main seal leak for maybe a year now. But I park in the same spot of my gravel driveway every day, and yes there is some oil, but it's a slow leak, and I have not noticed it getting worse at all. Truck does not smoke or smell like burnt oil.

I took it to a quick oil change shop last time (Nov 2021), and had never been to that one. The only thing I can imagine is they didn't fill it full. Is there any possibility of something else? Could the truck actually burn 5 quarts in 4,000 miles with easy, limited driving around town and no symptoms of anything wrong? Thanks for any insight!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I can't imagine it going through that much oil without leaving soot all inside the end of the exhaust pipe if it was burning it, or oil all over the undercarriage if it was a leak.

Get someone to follow you though, just in case, because you'd be surprised at how easily you can't see oil smoke when you're driving and it's just a bit whenever you hit the accelerator. One area the 5.0L is prone to oil usage at higher mileage even when the rings and valves are in good shape is through the PCV system. If the PCV is worn, it'll allow oil to get sucked into the intake through the PCV hose, and it generally does it during medium to even acceleration.

Pull the valve and inspect the hose. Some oil there is normal, but if you're getting a lot of "wet" oil then it's an issue. Its probably past due for the valve to be replaced either way.

3. TomFord

-------

Thanks very much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I don't think there is much noticeable oil on the undercarriage except for around the oil pan/rear main seal area. Yesterday, I took it back to the place where the oil was changed last. The manager did mention the soot in the tailpipe. I just walked out to the truck, and this is what it looked like after one swipe.

I will definitely replace the PCV valve within a few days. But based on the picture of the soot, would you have any suspicion of something else going on? Or could that amount of soot be expected with 150k on the truck?

Thanks again!

upload_2022-4-7_13-7-38.jpeg #ad

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Looks normal (the soot) for that kind of mileage!

5. TomFord

Ok, good to know. Thanks again!

FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >