56 drip rail roof repair

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Starlifter, May 22, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Starlifter

IMG_4960.JPG #ad
    Just joined the board so please don't run me out of town if I screw up my first question. I didn't see a search option. I have the common bad drip rail, roof rot. Looks like my options are 1. Find new cab (not ready for this yet) 2. Find used top of cab (same as above) 3. Repair damage. If I go with #3 it looks like all pieces will need to be fabricated since no after repair pieces available. Right now I'm looking at drip rail. Keep it or remove it. Looks to me over the windshield it may not be a problem but over the doors unless there is a great seal water may get in. Any thoughts or experience here? If I were to make a drip tail it looks to be a "L" shape welded under roof support. Or maybe a more complicated factory piece originally. Anyone have pass experience in this area? Thanks in advance

IMG_4962.JPG #ad

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hey fat fender crew, roll out the red carpet for the new guy! @jniolon where are you?

The search is a box on the top/right of the screen. Anyway, looks like you have a big project ahead of you. I can't help with that particlar truck, the oldest Effie I've had is a 67.

3. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

SL
    first Welcome to FTZ, we're glad you joined. As for your roof... it's a mess.:rolleyes:. That is probably the most difficult area on the truck to repair. There are three pieces of metal that come together there... the roof, the drip rail and the top of the cab. The options you mentioned are correct. Removing the drip rail is a major deal as it is time consuming and requires some good welding and filler skills. There is a lot of alignment to do. Also you've got some patch pieces to fabricate with a compound curve and that rail is difficult to reproduce ... that's Ron Covell skill level !

Mid-50 (midfifty.com)offers a fiberglass replacement for the roof (http://www.midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=2013&PN=Roof-panel-stock-fiberglass ) but that also is a major modification. Don't know your skills so it's hard to recommend...and I don't know the condition of the rest of the cab... i.e. corners, lower doors, floor panels, etc. if it were me (little bodywork skills) I'd look for another cab... might be cheaper when you figure in labor cost and material if you have to pay for the work. Bodywork ain't cheap. There were several at the Supernats last week.

Wish I was more help... but this is really above my pay grade.

john

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Welcome to FTZ

I was lucky with my pickup and my panel. Both had great tops.
    Bottoms were not so much.

Junk yards are where to go for parts of cabs, I know of nowhere that makes patch panels for the top parts of a cab
    Like J John said, that is a rough place to repair
    John might have an answer, he did a magical trick on both his panel, and his pick up. He is right at the beginning of show season, but should be along soon

5. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome to the ZONE! Where are you located? I have a spare rust free cab that I would sell cheap...

I'm in Eastern Oregon...

dustybumpers likes this.
  6. bjmayberry2 Founding Member

Looks like you've got a project on your hands for sure. I will throw this out to you from my experience. Evaluate your entire Cab. If you're doing the work yourself; anything is possible with enough money, time and skills. If you're going to pay to have your cab fixed BEWARE I'm $3,000 into mine (inner & outer rear cab corners, front floor boards, front cab corners, rocker panels, 2 used roofs and a big back window frame) and still not finished with the body work, let alone finishing the dent repairs and paint. I turned down a pretty clean cab for $1,500 (dumb idea). Terry's F-100s makes a fiberglass roof for under $500. I looked at them at the Super Nationals last month and they look like the way to go if you can't find a steel roof.

7. bjmayberry2 Founding Member

How cheap is cheap? 56 Cab right.

8. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Couple hundred bucks?

9. bjmayberry2 Founding Member

Got pictures? Do you live near a Fastenal store?

10. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I could take a pic or three! I live in the Eastern Oregon desert outside a town with only 600 people in it. No Fastenal store within 200 miles.....

11. bjmayberry2 Founding Member

Would love to see it.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

13. bjmayberry2 Founding Member

14. Helms

There are repair panels available, see Auto Parts Direct eg: inner roof panel and a complete roof panel. I'm working on the same problem but not quite as bad as yours.

15. Helms

The drip rail has to be removed to make the repair and since it is the cause of the rust I'm planning to leave it off.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso