Grand Nationals 2018

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, May 22, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

Well... it's over... waited in anticipation for months... hoped it would be good... fretted over weather forecasts... finally pushed all my chips in and went. We missed Thursday (due to a completely wrong forecast) and came in Thursday night. My reservations at the Music Road Resort was kinda wonky... I had first reserved Friday_Sunday but then later added a day for Thursday. I had to take a different room and was going to have to move to another room Friday... they were pretty well booked up. When we checked in the lady at the desk saw what I had and said she could do better than that../. It took her about 10 minutes but she found a room like we wanted open for all nites.. no move involved... my give up was a creek view... I was very pleased... I've seen creeks before and I was there to see trucks... +10 on the hotel... to a person, every staff member was friendly, helpful and truly seemed to be glad we were there. +10 on the hotel. Free breakfast buffet was included and was excellent other than two screaming youngsters that loved to eat the same time we did EVERY MORNING !!! -0 on the hotel...-100 on the kids parents. After 4 days at the Resort I'd give them AAAA... nice accommodations and helpful friendly staff... easy parking and affordable rates...

The lots ... hotel, upper and lower show lots were all full of trucks, lots of choices and years and it was all trucks... no cars, no tractors..., just nice trucks. Best collection I've seen since at least the last Knoxville show and probably the last P.F. show at the Grand.Two of the lots were paved and another shady grass area for overflow with lots of shade +10 for the shade. Everyone was friendly and loved talking about their trucks... nice family atmosphere. +10 on the owners.

Vendors were pretty well stocked and I only missed one thing I was searching for, saw lots of boxes being toted away. they were all happy to be there and helpful with advise and tips. +10 to the vendors I'm sure the vendor list will get longer as the show grows. Glad Joe signed up ETMotorsports to do the show shirts... they always have quality shirts that last for years... some of the other shows cheap out on dollar tree shirt vendors.. +10 on the shirts.

Food - there was only one food vendor but he had a nice variety and it was well prepared... he had what I wanted and it was served up quick and hot. I visited more than once., reasonably priced for car show food. +10 on the food -50 on my blood sugar level.

Organizer and staff..f I had talked to Joe several times during the year and he was always helpful, friendly and seemed to have his 'stuff' together. There is a lot of plates to keep spinning before, during and after the show.., Joe, family and staff did an excellent job...,.. that guy was EVERYWHERE !! I saw no plates drop.. nothing but smiling faces and professional results. This really reminded me of the of Pat Ford shows... +50 on the show people. Now, keep in mind I'm just a spectator this year and entrants might have a different story... but I bet they don't...

Weather wasn't much of a problem being mostly short showers and after hour rains. It got a little messy down by the creek and in the swap meet area... but they tried to address this quickly with hay in the bad areas... I heard very little complaining just listening around..,,. and everyone seemed pleased with the crowd turnout, the operation and the weekend in general...

The hotel wouldn't take my reservations for next year till the contract was officially signed... but I'll keep calling and get my name on the list... hopefully with my truck that trip

Talking to Joe during the show and he has lots of plans to make next year bigger and better... details will be shared as they are set in stone...

All in all it was a very relaxed enjoyable weekend at a great show... all ya'll that didn't show up missed it for sure !~! Thanks Joe Carpenter for a great job !!!

Tags:
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >