Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by KW5413, May 26, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

When the lease gets close to expiring on the Navigator I will likely get back in the 1/2 ton truck as a daily driver. But, I really want the bigger engine. I don't tow much but, when I do I don't want to be hanging with the 3.5 eco boost.

I am about a year out from serious searching but, the 5.4 in the Nav is seriously sluggish on a good day. In fact, I am pretty disappointed. I had a number of pre-2004 5.4 F150s.. Four I believe, and was happy with all of them. Anyway, does anybody know if the 6.2 will be available in the F-150 for 2016 or 2017 model years?

Tags:
  2. BKW Founding Member

6.2L no longer available in F150's, and because of impending 2020 CAFE standards, I doubt it will be ever again.

Raptor returning in 2016, but I haven't read anything inre to what the engine size will be.

2015 Expeditions & Navigators only available w/the 3.5L Eco-Boost, the 5.4L has gone bye bye for good.

I don't recall his name, but a member here on FTZ just bought a 2009 F150 with the 5.4L .. I hope he's satisfied with it, but in a previous post in his thread, I warned him about the 5.4L

I bought a new 2004 F150 Lariat 2WD Stupor Crew, the 5.4L did OK on the flats, but when climbing hills, "its get up and go...got up and went!"

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  3. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I knew the Navs were going to exclusive use of the 3.5 EB but, I did not know that Ford was dumping the 6.2. I wonder if GM will be doing the same? Even if the Raptor went with 6.2 I don't think a suburban rock crawler would be in my future. :)

Thanks for the update.

4. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

What is the rear end and gear ratios of the transmission in the Nav. vs. the F150? Motor size is only part of the story.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The 5.4L properly tuned, in an F150 does pretty well. The factory calibrations leave a lot of power on the table, plus they have an enormous amount of throttle lag you've probably experienced. Tuning can eliminate this, so the ETC feels more like a traditional "peddle follower" throttle setup, even though behind the scenes it's still ETC "driver demand."

6. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I believe you meant me, BKW. I pick the truck up tomorrow.

I test drove it on Sunday. The 5.4 in it definitely has more pep than the 5.4 in my Expedition. Could be due to the 6 speed transmission though.

That said, the 5.0 has more power, yet with the transmission and rear ends equal, has a lower tow rating.

Have not found a 6.2 yet, but I'm going with the tried and true 5.4 after reading about the common problems with the 5.0 knock, and grenading turbos from the ecoboost.

Don't get me wrong, the Expedition gets up and boogies when I need it to, I'm just at place in life that I need a truck more than an suv.

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The advantage of the 5.4 verses the 5.0 when it comes to towing is it's low torque curve. 80% of maximum torque by 1000 rpm. From what I can see on 5.0L torque charts, it's closer to 25%-33% peak toque around 1000 rpm. I'd take the 6.2L over the 5.4L, but the 5.4L over the 5.0L for towing. For adding boost, I'd take the 5.0L over the 5.4L. :)

'

6a00d83451b3c669e201538e200572970b-800wi.jpg #ad

8. TeamBrahma TOTM Winner Founding Member

This is very true. I have two "pre-04" 5.4L powered trucks, and they will get up and run even with 3:55 gears in the rear ends. The F150 is slated for a gear change though to 3:73 because of the lift/tire combo, along with some motor upgrades with tuning involved to get a little more out of it.

9. ssls6

I would look for a used one. I have a 6.2L in my 2012 F150 and I can't say enough good things about it. I love how it drives and pulls my trailers. It always sounds solid when it idles and doesn't have any weird behaviors and noises. I think I would like an Aluminum body F150 but not enough to give up my 2012 6.2.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso