6.9L differences?

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by blucollar4xford, May 13, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. blucollar4xford

I'm looking at an '85 6.9L diesel to swap in place of the factory unit that no longer runs in my '86.

The question is, I'm told it is from a schoolbus, what are the differences between it and the "pickup" version?

Tags:
  2. macman_85602

I don't beleve there are any diffrences you may need your exisiting mounts but i beleve it will bolt right in.

Double check the bellhousing bolt pattern to be sure though.

Scott

3. BKW Founding Member

It's probably from an E250/350 (Econoline), which uses the Saginaw P/S pump (resembles a 'canned ham').

The internal parts are the same, some of the bolt-on accessories like the air cleaner, P/S pump & A/C mounting brackets will be different. Engine/transmission mounts will be different.

Will also have a C6, the converter housing is made as part of the transmission case. Bell housings only used with M/T's.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. blucollar4xford

This is a manual transmission/setup, but the accessories look normal. It has a glass fuel filter housing in a totally different location, which I've seen on dump trucks and buses before. I was curious if there were any internal differences, I guess (but the bell housing pattern was another concern, though it could be remedied with my trucks adapter plate).
    I'd LOVE to find a Saginaw pump/mount for my 6.9!!!

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

whether it is a ford or international bus, the only difference between the engines will be external bolt on parts.
    the engines themselves will be the same as a pickup engine.

6. macman_85602

There was a guy over at FTE that knew the IDIs inside and out don"t know what ever happened to him. His name was Davespoungle or something like that Don't know what happened to him kinda dropped of the forums.

7. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

he got busy with work, and just stopped posting.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You will have to use your:
    Oil cooler
    motor mounts
    filters and brackets
    Air filter housing
    exhaust manifolds
    Might even have to change the water pump, and crank pulley.

Did this swap a couple of years back

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >