62 Ford Unibody Twin Turbo Build

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Builds' started by CzDaveC, Jul 21, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. CzDaveC

Hello all, new to this forum and looking forward to sharing this build with you. I hope you enjoy the ride as I resurrect this truck from where it sat neglected for over 20yrs. I am posting this build on The Turbo Forums as well and was asked to post it here too. IMG_0342.JPG #ad
    IMG_0343.JPG #ad
    This is what I am starting with. My friend started to rebuild it over 20 yrs ago woth the plan to install a 302 with AOD .After pulling out the 390 and T98 , he rebuilt the front end and converted it to power disk brakes and rebuilt all the springs front and rear ,plus the rear axle. Then he lost interest and pushed it out back where it sat until I decided to save it.
    I was going to build it with a blown 428 coupled to T56 I have but after watching some turbo cars running on the strip at Pacific Street Cars drags. I decided to venture off what I have known and try a totally different sort of build.
    I welcome all input and suggestions and hope you enjoy the journey.

CzDaveC

Tags:
  2. CzDaveC

Here are a few pics of the truck on its way to my shop after dragging it out of the backyard in the high desert. IMG_0345.JPG #ad
    IMG_0348.JPG #ad
    IMG_0362.JPG #ad
    The last pic shows the inside of the cab after cleaning out all the dirt and crap that had accumulated over the last 20yrs.

3. CzDaveC

I haven't decided on the look for the truck yet. It definitely wont be a stock restoration but I want to keep it somewhat subdued and as much of a sleeper as possible !!
    The drive train is going to consist of a Windsor stroked to 408 CI.
    Twin T-56-1 custom built turbo's from Performance Techniques
    A blow through carb from CSU
    World Products Windsor Sr. heads ,port matched and cleaned up
    Forged Scat Crank
    Forged Scat H-beam rods with 7/16 Capscrews
    Forged Icon Premium Pistons 2618 alloy for boost with steel rings
    Custom ground turbo cam from Comp Cams
    Comp Cams Magnum Roller Rockers
    Summit Racing Stage 4 Intake , port matched to heads
    Hughes Performance Turbo 400 custom built for this truck
    3.50 Posi 31 spline Ford 9" rearend

I will do my best to keep this thread updated and post pics of the build as time allows .

CzDaveC

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Thanks for joining and starting the build thread. You're going to have a lot of fans here with a build like that. Do you have the hood, doors, etc?

5. CzDaveC

Hi Ken,
    Thanks for the welcome. yes, I have sourced a complete front clip for the truck as well as having 2 sets of doors for it as well . I also have several of the hard to find tailgates for it as well. The interior was complete , although in need of a total resto on it.
    The plan is to get the Windsor built and mated to the Turbo 400, then I will set the engine and transmission in and fabricate new motor mounts and the transmission crossmember . Then I will put the core support and inner fenders back on so that I can start doing all the plumbing for the turbo's and the cooling system. Good thing this truck has plenty of room under the hood as I will need to fit a large crossflow radiator and an air to air intercooler .
    Another challenge is going to be the fuel system. I do not want to keep the fuel tank in the cab as I need more legroom and want to push the seats back as far as I can. The trick is going to be filling the fuel cell without resorting to cutting a hole in the bed . I want to find a clean way to put in a fuel filler without spoiling the clean lines of the truck .
    Right now I am machining the block for the clearance on the stroker rotating assembly and I will post some pics of that. I am waiting for the transmission to be delivered . So hopefully I will have the long block assembled and ready when it gets here.

Regards
    CzDaveC

6. BKW Founding Member

Removing the fuel tank will not gain you any extra legroom. When the seat is all the way back, the backrest hits the back of the cab.

7. CzDaveC

Just returned from Bonneville Speed Week, and hope to get this project moving again . Here are a few picks of me machining the block for the stroker crank and machining the main caps for the installation of the studs and main girdle. IMG_0366.JPG #ad
    IMG_0373.JPG #ad
    IMG_0377.JPG #ad
    IMG_0375.JPG #ad

Campspringsjohn and dustybumpers like this.
  8. CzDaveC

BKW,
    I know what you mean with the stock bench seat hitting the cab. I wont be running the bench seat, I will probably have race seats in it instead. The stock fuel tank also can't support the type of feed and return lines I am going to be using without a ton of modification . So I figured it will be easier to either run a fuel cell or I will be fabbing a complete sumped tank for in between the frame rails.
    I am thinking about getting a fuel filler and door off a late model truck and adapt it into the bed side to preserve the clean lines on the truck but still be able to fill it up at the gas station without a lot of hassle.

9. CzDaveC

Finally got time to get back on the project. Did a half fill on the water jacket. IMG_20161006_061844470.jpg #ad

10. CzDaveC

IMG_20161011_140432817.jpg #ad
    Set the crank in . IMG_20161011_140523102_HDR.jpg #ad
    Hung all the pistons. IMG_20161011_141858923_HDR.jpg #ad
    Put one rod on so I can double check the deck height and verify all the clearances .

11. CzDaveC

IMG_20161011_140702816_HDR.jpg #ad
    Checked all the valve seats and verified the spring pressure on the World Products Windsor senior heads . Screwed in the studs and set the head on in preparation for checking valve clearance and pushrod length. IMG_20161011_142852245.jpg #ad

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

This is going to be an awesome truck when its done. I can't wait to see your results.

13. CzDaveC

Thanks Ken,
    I can't wait to see it done either, I hate that it's taking so long but my business eats up a lot of my time . I have never done a build like this before ,so it's steep learning curve . Forced induction is a whole new ballgame. I am getting the 3rd member built right now and am going to get some good 31 spline axles from Currie for it.
    I am looking at several different disk brake kits for the rear end. I would like to hear from some people on what they used and thought of their particular kit .
    As in, fitment, replacement parts/pads etc.

CzDaveC

14. CzDaveC

Well, finally got some time over the Holliday weekend and got some more done on the engine . IMG_20161126_130116934.jpg #ad
    IMG_20161126_113020036_HDR.jpg #ad
    Hopefully I will have it buttoned up by next weekend and can bring the truck into the shop to start fabbing the motor/transmission mounts.

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I always love the look of a freshly cleaned and built engine.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >