65 F250 Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by KevinK, Oct 17, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KevinK

I have a 65 F250 I am looking to do a disc brake conversion. I am rebuilding most of the truck, so it seems logical. I have been reading the forums and many people talk about how to do it without too many specifics. I am looking for someone who knows, what year spindles will work and what kingpins go with it. I have heard you can take spindles from 72-78 but then are back and forth about what kingpins etc. I wish there was just an aftermarket conversion kit, but they only seem to make them for the f100's and f150's. Can you by spindles new or do i have to go to a junk yard and cut them out? I can't seem to find anyone selling them online.

Tags:
  2. RP67F100

I’m not familiar with the 250s but if you contact Solomon Lunger at FordEra I believe he could answer your questions. He does a lot of 250&350 builds

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

4. KevinK

So If i keep the 65 i-beams, what year spindles would work? I it looks like if i can find 73-74 F250 (Regular Cab) - 2/W/D With 6200 lbs. G.V.W. 6.35 x .85 they would work, and I would just get 65 kingpins. Can you by new spindles some where I have not been able to find them and would prefer to buy them new/refurbished over going to a junk yard and trying to find them and get them out.

5. KevinK

Anyone got disc spindles from a 73-74 F250, or got a source online that i can buy a set from? I haven't found a doner truck yet.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You cannot buy new spindles, there aren't any.

Again, your best route is getting the i-beams and spindles together from the newer truck, so you don't have to fool with king pins which will require a hydraulic press to get them out (and you can't cheat with a hydraulic bottle jack, it doesn't have nearly enough pressure). Getting just the spindles is really over complicating it, and it'll probably mean having to take it to a machine shop to press out the king pins.

Please post in one thread or the other about this, instead of both. Thanks.

7. iicap

KevinK, On spindles, They do NOT wear out. About worst that COULD happen is one of the wheel bearings could go bad, seize or jam and spin the inner race on the spindle messing up the surface the bearing/race rides on. I have Never seen it happen. Do your best to follow FTZ HAIC suggestion of finding spindle/axle combo or Parts Truck. If You luck out and the kingpins are NOT worn, just install the axle/spindle combo on Your truck. If the kingpins are worn and need replacing, take the whole axle to an Automotive Machine shop and let them do all for you, the Kingpin set and they can heat and press out the worn kingpins, install and fit the new bushings

If you can't find a junker Parts Truck to buy (best bet), put a Want To Buy request on Craigslist for your state or adjacent state(s) you may be nearby. The parts truck will give you all you need and layout. You can by new or rebuilt any components you deem need replacing, e.g., hoses, wheel seals, pads, calipers, rotors. Wheel bearings can be washed and inspected for damage, replace if needed.

Cap

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >