65 locking steering

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Junglecat70, Jul 18, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Junglecat70

Pleased to be a new member of this community and look forward to learning as much as possible!
    Just acquired a 65 long bed and am looking to get started on cleaning it up. I received a key that seems to function as the ignition key but the steering will not unlock. Am I missing something or maybe the key I was given turns the ignition but does not release the steering lock. Any help is appreciated, excited to get going on it!
    Thanks
    Dennis

Tags:
  2. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I for one would like to see a pic of this steering lock

iicap likes this.
  3. iicap

Me Too. Has to have a later year column.

captchas likes this.
  4. Junglecat70

It feels like a locking mechanism but maybe it is corrosion or broken. I am going to get into it tomorrow

5. iicap

65 Ford trucks did NOT have a locking steering column and the Ignition switch is in the Dashboard next to the headlight switch

BKW and Fabman like this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Weren't they this way all the way through 72?

iicap and Junglecat70 like this.
  7. Junglecat70

Thanks for the help! The ignition is by the light switch so i believe it is stock. I disconnected the linkage from the steering box and That is what I believe is locked up and/or damaged.

8. RP67F100

I would jack up the front end with the steering box disconnected. Then see if you can turn the wheels left and right. Most people don’t grease the king pins correctly and they will freeze up. You may be able to grease both upper and lower king pin grease fittings along with all the tie rod and drag link fittings. You need to do this with wheels off the ground. Make sure grease comes out from the spindles

9. iicap

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with, RPF67F100 on the proper way to grease the kingpins, specifically the Lower portion. Grease, like a liquid, will follow the path of lease resistance. If you grease the lower portion with the vehicle raised off the ground the grease will not enter and flush the bearing.

The weight of the vehicle MUST keep the marriage of the, spindle, lower bearing portion, upper bearing portion, lower axle eye, pressed together OR the grease will escape thru the gaps created between these parts when the vehicle is raised AND NO grease will go into the bearing.

Most profound with Non power steering vehicles, that are hard to steer and steering stays where you put it and will not return to center as you go down the road, is a sign that the bearing (thrust bearing, if you want to call it that) is rusted inside and the rollers are binding or have flat spots. Even when the bearing is installed correctly (not upside down) water will find it's way into the bearing.

With power steering, the steering will be easy, but will stay where you put it and not return to the center when going down the road.

Finally if your check for hard steering includes jacking the vehicle up and checking for worn kingpins and bushings and you find they are OK, no wear or play, then the bearing is probably the reason OR a frozen ball socket in the drag link/tie rod system.

Cap

Fabman likes this.
  10. RP67F100

I won’t debate this with you cause everyone has an opinion.
    But the bearing that I just took out of my 67 and the one I replaced it with are both sealed bearings and no way grease is getting into them.

11. iicap

RP67F100, Not looking for a debate. Opinion's Yes, agreed. I have never seen a sealed kingpin bearing. Must be some on the market now I'm not aware of and if they do the job staying permanently lubricated that is Great! For all those others out there that WE don't know if they are sealed or not, the grease needs to be flushed as best can be with new grease. Remember, maybe only a few reply to the question's asked on these Forums, but many read them and retain what they have learned from them, I know I do, Cap

12. BKW Founding Member

No 1960's or 1970's truck had a locking steering column, so if yours does, someone swapped in a 1980's steering column. Why I dunno.

I bought a 1965 F100 brand new, my truck had nothing like this, neither did anyone else's truck.

Insert the key into the ignition switch, turn it all the way to the right to engage the starter, the engine starts.

Are you sure you bought a 1965 and not a 1985?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >