66 F250 Transmission Linkage

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Slick66, Aug 30, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Slick66

Bought this truck over a year ago for a good price. The truck has 28k original miles. It fires right up and runs real smooth.

Problem is when you shift into gear nothing happens. It is a 3 on the tree. It does know the difference between park and neutral but other than that it is unresponsive. The secondary linkage is disconnected but nothing seems to happen when it is actuated by hand. Nobody has been able to figure out the issue. Any advice would be appreciate, sorry for the lack of detailed info, can answer any questions to help narrow it down. Thanks in advance!

2. Slick66

Third photo is of the disconnected linkage

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

3. captchas

3 on the tree is the meaning of a stick shift 3 spd column shifted, think you mean column shifted 3 spd. automatic, possibly a c4 or c6 as the photo of the pan fails to show it all,
    so first off, no foward or reverse means NO internal pressures. or a failed auto transmission. you will need to check the pan by dropping it to see how much metal lays inside it. check if it dropped internal shift linkage rod to the valve body. what can fail is the pump. . converter , internal seals for the clutch packs, the clutch discs them self's totally burnt up. even a fully worn out valve body

IMM i think your looking at a transmission rebuild and new converter

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

first thing i would do is check the transmission fluid. if it is more than 2 quarts or so low, you can loose all gears.
    if i remember correctly, the linkage that is disconnected is the "passing gear" rod. that is the part that makes the transmission downshift when you go full throttle to pass someone

5. BKW Founding Member

1965/67 F100/350 352 & 1965/72 F350 240/300: MX Cruise-O-Matic (14 transmission pan bolt holes).

1965/72 F100/250 240/300: C4 (11 transmission pan bolt holes).

OP failed to mention the engine size, so I cannot post any parts catalogs pics until I know what it is.

1968: First year that the 360/390 and C6 were installed in F100/350.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What happens if you let the engine and transmission fully warm-up? Do you get gears then? I had this happen, and it was an issue with internal seals simply being old and leaky. They swell up a little as it warms and the transmission is then able to build enough pressure to engine the forward / reverse clutches.

7. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

forgot all about that!!
    my 65 six cylinder falcon was the same way. no movement until the transmission fluid warmed up a swelled the pump seals. then it would be fine until the the transmission got cold. and i would have to heat the fluid up again before driving it.

8. captchas

that's why a better shot of the pan would help figure out which one it is. . yep kick down link is disconnected at the transmission.
    thanks for reminding me about the warm up saying dried up seals inside as we normally only see them on the bench to rebuild when they gone all the way,

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >