7.3 gas engine cam and lifter delaminations

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Woodrow, Mar 12, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Woodrow

7.3 gas cam and lifter roller delaminations. Has anyone heard or read about these issues? Is it a primary problem on the early 2020-2021 7.3’s? Several you tube videos out there saying this is an issue happening around 36-40,000 miles and under warranty. My question is how common of a problem is this and if it’s isolated to the early 7.3’s or still a problem for the 2022 model year. I don’t drive but 7-8,000 miles/year. I’m likely not going to experience this issue under warranty unless I purchase an extended warranty. Anyone else concerned?

Tags:
  2. DonW

I very well may be wrong but the last time I did a littler research on this it seemed to not be a common issue at ball. I have a 2020 right at 29,500 and have had zero issues..so far. While I'm no big Ford fan and am not at all impressed with the way they handle their recalls, I.E. trannies, it would seem to me if it was much of an issue there would be recalls by now. Knowing anyone can post on these forums and make u-tube videos at this point I'm not very concerned...

Woodrow likes this.
  3. captchas

(While I'm no big Ford fan and am not at all impressed with the way they handle their recalls,)

your not alone don, been there with that 2013 1.6l escape catching fire ordeal, first hand thou i can say Hyundai is worse than ford on recalls ,

4. DonW

Don't you think part of the problem though is some of these recalls they have because everyone is sue happy today...and getting away with it! My 2020 for example, open recall on the wiper arm, probably the chance of the wiper arm ever falling off is about 1 in 50,000. Parts been on nationwide back order for way over a year!!

captchas likes this.
  5. captchas

i agree with the sue happy don

it's a big reason new jersey has the nickname the sueme state we have a large number of lawyers per 1000 people .

DonW likes this.
  6. Phillydog7.3

Mine was getting louder and louder with pulley sounds, at one point I seriously thought the water pump was out and didn't drive it till my appointment only to be told they couldn't find anything wrong.
    i have a 2020 with 54k and it's going it the shop to get a new short block, to go through this again I think I would have started regular oil analysis. I sent one in but they agreed to the new short block before I have the results.
    I absolutely love the truck,
    I was also involved in the transmission problem last year, ford sent a brand new transmission,
    I believe this problem is only on the 2020s , time will tell.

7. DonW

Sonwhat was the problem that requires a new short block??

8. Phillydog7.3

It's the bearings in the crank shaft.
    He removed the belt and the noise was still there.

9. DonW

Thank you. My dealer has had no problems with the 7.3, I was just curious. Mine has just under 30,000, love it no problems whatsoever. Thanks again.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >