71 F 100 4x4 - need info please

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Dougert7, May 13, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Dougert7

bought a project, looking for some help with resources. Have to replace the clutch, and front axle u-joints. Best place to find info, pic, videos etc on these? Any issues, tricks to replace? Seems most shops want time and material as they don't have a computer to tell them how many hours to charge? Thanks in advance!

image.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. macman_85602

If you are looking for how to check youtube they have all kinds of how to videos.

Most shops have alldata and or chilton time manuals to tell how long jobs should take.

3. BKW Founding Member

Welcome to FTZ

1964/72 Ford Truck Parts Catalog available on a C/D from hipoparts.com

faxonautolit.com (store located in Riverside CA) will have genuine Ford owners/shop manuals, sales and accessory brochures, wiring and vacuum diagrams.

4. Dougert7

I actually asked a shop and they told me we don't have any info that goes back that far. I figured someone on here must have done one or two

5. fords8

What engine do you have?

A clutch kit you can get as low as 115.00 or so. Pending which engine you have.

6. Dougert7

It's the 390. I have a clutch kit, wondered if I should replace the flywheel automatically ( if it looks bad I would for sure) and what kind of hours the job is. I don't have a lift at home

7. BKW Founding Member

Are you sure it's a 390? 390's were not factory installed with 4WD. And on sale day, 360's magically become 390's!

C5AZ-6375-K .. 360 Flywheel-Use with 11" clutch / (6) 5/16" -18 pressure plate attaching holes on a 12 3/8" bolt circle.

C5AZ-6375-L .. 390 Flywheel-Use with 11 1/2" clutch / (6) 5/16" -18 pressure plate attaching holes on a 12 7/8" bolt circle.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I'm with Bill, They only become 390's when they go up for resale.
    360 is a good motor

As far as the flywheel, just take it to a machine shop in your area, and have it turned ( resurfaced)
    generally, that's all it needs, the process is a milling, which takes off all the heat spots, and small cracks. It smoothes the surface, and makes everything flat
    The machine shop will have a way to measure the flywheel for you, and the flywheel will be marked somewhere on a minimum amount it can be turned too.
    Machine shops are a dying breed, so you may have to do some research, or travel a bit, but someone in your area does it.
    Ask your parts house where the local engine rebuilder is, and that will be where you go.

9. BKW Founding Member

Most NAPA stores have machine shops, there are 1,000's in the US, some located in rural farm towns with less than a 500 population.

But some people buy mechanical parts from repro parts sellers like LMC, Mac's and etc.

Where does LMC buy them? From local (Lenexa KS) parts stores like NAPA!

If people buy parts from local auto parts stores, they won't have to pay shipping charges.

10. Dougert7

Thanks everyone. How would I know for sure what motor it is?

image.jpg #ad

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Sadly, you really won't know until it's time to rebuild.
    The 390's I had, had factory 4bbls, but not all of them came that way. Most of the 360's had 2bbls, but, then again not all of them came that way.
    They both take the same plugs, and cap and rotor, so I really wouldn't worry a whole lot about it.

Dougert7 likes this.
  12. fords8

According to the parts store, the 360 should have a VIN of *Y* in it. The 390 has a *H*. Both have 2 bbl on them. The parts #s for both the 360 and 390 are the same but one which is a 11-1/2 clutch. The rest that are listed are 11.

I know with a lift and a transmission jack with air tools, my brother and I do them in about 4 hours. On your back with no transmission jack could take you a lot more than that. Even with 2 or 3 people helping.

Dougert7 likes this.
  13. Dougert7

Truck is up and running with a new clutch, refinished pressure plate etc. now to find inexpensive front coil springs that fit a small lift kit....

14. Bertha66 Vet Zone TOTM Winner Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Check your local parts stores also for the springs, I have bought spring for a couple of my trucks locally here in central Oregon.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso