78 F250 4x4 Side Tank question

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by dfronheiser, Feb 17, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dfronheiser

side tank is plastic? is that normal /oem?
    metal tanks have a metal pipe where filler hose attaches too.
    my plastic tank does not.
    see attached picture - the filler tube attaches to a metal pipe, which went INSIDE the plastic tank.
    the leaky seal was complimented with a generous amount of rtv... lol (not my work)

am i missing pieces, is it dfective or broken?
    I cannot find any specs on the plastic tanks and what this connection is supposed to look like and or parts involved.

ford side tank.JPG #ad

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

good question. all three of my trucks had steel tanks.

3. dfronheiser

i cannot find any info - no parts catalogues have diagrams ... dealer microfish they told me good luck, i'm pretty sure they were options... but... it seems likely its broke or missing pieces, i see no way it could make a decent seal the way it is

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i will also add though none of my trucks were dual tank. the extra tanks on the two F350's were add on saddle tanks.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Plastic tank is aftermarket.
    I can't remember details, but I think they still make them.
    I'm pretty sure jc whittney, etc sold them.
    I'll try and look for some info on the old desk top that I saved, IF it fires up tomorrow

Sort of thinking the gas tank in the cab for 67 rubber to the fill is the same one, like I say, been a while, don't remember

6. dfronheiser

oh i found plenty of new plastic tanks, they look a little different and don't appear to have same filler hose hook up. i'll check jc whitney

7. BKW Founding Member

Click on the links, then click on the pics to expand them. In the filler pipe pic, 99 is a Styleside.

There are two types of plastic mid-ship tanks for your application. With Evaporative Emission (24.8 gallons) or without Evaporative Emission (26.3 gallons).

Evaporative Emission: Unleaded fuel, NON vented fuel caps.

Look at the pic v at the far left to see the charcoal canisters and other fall-der-all.

20190217170107FPS-8096-B.jpg #ad

20190217170428FPS-8096-B.jpg #ad

20190217170908FPS-8096-B.jpg #ad

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    dustybumpers likes this.
  8. dfronheiser

BKW, pretty good... but.... it does not show the fit up to tank, it shows filer hose hose clamped, mine was hose clamped to a steel filler pipe that went inside tank... it is that connection i would like to see exploded diagramed.. i've gotten this far

9. dfronheiser

don's sketch of fuel tank.jpg #ad

10. BKW Founding Member

The filler hose mounts the same way on all 1973/79 F100/350 mid-ship tank Stylesides, it clamps to the metal filler pipe that is made as part of the tank.

If there's a vent hose, Ford taped it to the filler hose originally. The tape dried out, fell off, the hose began to pinch, so filling these infamous "slow fill tanks" became even slower.

I posted pics of the various filler pipes, and the tanks. If you don't see what you're asking about, you'll have to find a truck and take a look-see because these are the only pics there are.

'Course, before I showed up, you said there were no pics. And if you expect Ford dealers to help, you're dreaming.

The second you mention the year, these clucks say OBSOLETE and/or we don't have parts catalogs this old.

1973/79 Ford 100/500 Series Truck Parts Catalog available on a C/D from hipoparts.com

I also have this catalog on microfiche.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  11. dfronheiser

i imagine the plastic tank then would have had a plastic filler pipe to attach to too, that was a part of the tank then, I'll go take a picture of the tank i have it out

12. dfronheiser

BKW, check these pics out when you get time

fule tank pics.JPG #ad

13. iicap

I see last post 02/17/ 2019. Was this ever resolved? Is there a rest of the story? Maybe I'm missing something?

Muel likes this.
  14. dfronheiser

the diagrams don't match my filler hose to tank mount - I have press in snap like rings ( force fit) that presses a rubber down on a rubber seal around filler tube, replacing the part 8287 in diagram. There is not mount on tank for filler hose to go over. hence part of my confusion - nothing I have seen online matches exactly. I have since found the parts and will post an updated pic once side tank is re-installed, I just got my skid plate back from welder friend who replaced rusted out sections.

15. dfronheiser

some pics of progress getting it back together

Ford Frame.JPG #ad

side tank skid.jpg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >