'78 Trav-L-Mate project

Discussion in 'Towing, RV's, Campers and 5th Wheels' started by bigrigfixer, Jun 21, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Got a new project in the beginning stages of deconstruction.

Pics to follow.

Anyway, I have been long lookin a project trailer for a few years now. Found one locally for $500. Needed work, but I knew that going on. Registered it, got a day permit, then dragged it home.

Lights didn't work. Safety chains were too long, and lacking hooks. Lights, I couldn't really do anything about until I got it home, but I borrowed a pair of safety hooks from work.

My measurements were off by a couple inches though. I measured the roof height at the entrance door, and it came in lower than my garage door. I forgot about the pop up vents, which put me an inch over. And the side opposite to the door was higher because of mismatched tires.

So I deflated the tires and with the watchful eye of my wife, I backed it in to the garage.

The following weekend, (last weekend, Father's Day Weekend) we went camping in our bigger trailer, so nothing got done with the "new" one. But when I got home, I busted out the shop vac and started vacuuming up the grit and grime. Found some pictures belonging to a former family. Lots of push pins, unused match sticks, and pennies. So many pennies.

Next day, I started pulling up the soft floor. Day after that, I took out the dinette area, and more floor. So much floor in fact, that I discovered just how much work was ahead of me. During the process of pulling and vacuuming, the floor got softer and softer, and wetter and wetter. So wet, that my shop vac was taking out plywood like it was a fillet of fish. A layer of ply, insulation, another layer of ply, then finally the aluminum outer skin.

And that's as far as I got in the two weeks that I've owned it.

Tags:
  2. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

3. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

4. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

5. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

6. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

7. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

8. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

9. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

10. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

11. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hi there. Long time no see. That looks like one heck of a project. A friend of mine got into something like that. Was in one of those old trailer clubs. Put a heck of a lot of money in it and used Knotty Pine for interior finish. Turned out looking mighty fine.

bigrigfixer likes this.
  12. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Well, with all that's been going on over the last year with my health and work and covid and everything else, I (we, as in my wife and I) decided to cut losses and sell it.

Could not find the time or the energy to see this project through to the end.

I did redo the floors, and reinforced the weak spots. Put new tail lights on to get it gone.

Sad, but relieved to see it go to somebody with a grander vision for it. He is planning to convert it to a flip up rear door toy hauler for his quad.

Anyway, thanks for your patience. I'll have a new project thread up in a few...

13. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Glad to see you are still vertical and taking nourishment. We've had a few health concerns going on around here as well. What really go my attention was when the Warden had to go back into the hospital for a 2nd surgery, and they wouldn't let me in because of the Covid stuff. She had to lay in the hospital by herself for a week. Aggravating.

Since I retired I don't really have any time for intense projects. After rebuilding my sisters camper with dad a number of years back, I don't really want to take one on again.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso