82 F-150 heart transplant

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by 82f150custom, Jul 24, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 82f150custom

I would like to upgrade to a fuel injected motor. I'm curious as to what can be swapped into my truck fairly easily.

Tags:
  2. Paul Masley Founding Member

It really depends on what you want to swap. Holly has an EFI that will replace your carb. That would make a world of difference and would be an easy upgrade. You should already have electronic ignition and MSD makes a killer upgrade for that.

82f150custom likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What motor does it have now, and what is your overall budget? You could go with a later model EFI swap, or aftermarket (such as the Holly mentioned), a lot depends on the time and budget you have. What are your primary reasons for wanting to switch?

4. 82f150custom

Well, budget is a little tight. Probably around $2k. Time I have plenty of. It has the 302 with AOD Metric transmission. I am wanting something a little more daily driver/sleeper-ish. It's my father's old truck he has had it since it was new. I am slowly working on it. Just want to know my options so if I see an opportunity I don't want to miss it.

5. 82f150custom

The EFI kits were 3-4k that I seen on summit racing. I feel like it would be a lot cheaper to put in an later model motor.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Look for a low miles 94-95 f 150 wrecked with the 5.0,
    probably can pick it up for a good deal, then transplant everything into your truck.
    That way, you have all the harnesses, computers, etc
    94 was the first year for mass air, so that will be your best option

The 93 and newer truck EFI uses the bigger plenum, so you already will have the "GT" air flow

If you go with a 4x4, try to find a 94 f 150 that has the FR70W transmission in it instead of the E4OD.
    That transmission was usually paired with shift on the fly 4x4
    FR70W transmission was also used in the Mustangs, and there are a lot of options for it

82f150custom likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's very doable for under $2K, look at Holly's Sniper EFI system. Starts at $999 and is a direct drop in replacement for a carb. Add a couple hundred more for odds and ends and you're done. You might even find it for less than $999, since that's the full retail price and there are plenty of discounters.

If it were me though, I'd do what Dusty said and do a transplant so you can upgrade to a modern 4R70w transmission as well, you'll get the benefit of a locking torque converter and all the extra mileage it brings (there is no downside to a locking converter!).

8. 82f150custom

As far as a 94-95 transplant goes. Will I need motor/transmission mount kits? Also, driveshaft? Mine is a 2wd as well.

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Same motor mounts.
    You will need the driveshaft, it will be a different legnth.
    wire harnesses, etc
    You will also need the VSS out of the top of the rear.
    Add to the fact you will need the instrument cluster, as there are warning lights, etc
    I guess a panel could be made up for that.

Might be easier to put your front clip on the newer truck....
    More fun to build the older truck tho, and we would help all the way.

82f150custom likes this.
  10. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Just to play devil's advocate.............
    Whats wrong with rebuilding the 302?
    New rings, bearings, cam, 4v heads, a Edlebrock performer intake, a 600 Holley, and a set of Mustang short headers..............You will have a quick, reliable rig without resorting to EFI voodoo, and quite probably less time, $$$ and hassle than going EFI.

Just a idea.

11. 82f150custom

I'm not against rebuilding the 302. My only issue is the AOD Metric transmission. How strong is it? What are my other transmission options? I looked at a C6 but bell housing didn't match.

12. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You need a C-6 with a small-block Ford V-8 (302/351w) bellhousing.........a C-6 from a 351m/400 will not fit nor a 429/460.
    The AOD can be built to handle anything a 302 can put out, but a elderly one may not hold up long to a strong 302.

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I use that AOD in a lot of my builds that don't use computers.
    Great transmission, has OD, and holds up well to average, or a bit above average builds.

82f150custom and OldjunkFords like this.
  14. 82f150custom

I have a second 5.0 and AOD transmission with a B&M shift kit. The motor needs some tlc though. Well, the transmission needs rebuilt as well.

15. 82f150custom

What about a manual transmission? What are the options there? I miss driving a manual transmission.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >