‘84 Ford F-250 5.8L v8 cuts out at 45

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Jordan998, Nov 7, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jordan998

I recently bought an ‘84 Ford F-250 from a guy who put a rebuilt carburetor on this truck and didn’t tune it. It runs great until it hits 45mph then it Boggs down and seems to want to die. How should I tune the carb to this?

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Look for vacuum leaks. Look for a missing gasket.

Look and see if the A.I.R pump and it's components are missing

3. Jordan998

How much Vacuum should it pull on the gauge?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Not talking about the gauge talking leaks. Take a can of carb cleaner, and spray hoses, carb base, intake gaskets, etc. Listen for engine to raise from idle to higher rpm. You have found your leak.

5. Jordan998

Didn’t find a vacuum leak but tested my fuel pressure and it’s 1psi so I’m going to get a new fuel pump for it

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Good find. I'm surprised it even starts

7. Jordan998

Every auto part store I have been to type in the make model and engine and it only shows mechanical fuel pumps that fit my truck. I am having a hard time finding where the fuel pump is located, I have followed the fuel lines clear back to the tank. Do they make electric fuel pumps that fit inside the tank like newer vehicles? Also I was thinking about putting an in-line external electric pump that pumps 6-8 PSI.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Fuel pump should be a mechanical pump, located on the left lower front of the engine, off the timing cover.

9. Jordan998

Replaced the fuel pump and it still Boggs down to the point of almost dying when I lightly accelerate and hit 45mph. It has new distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel pump, rebuilt carb, ignition coil. Could it be the icm? Or maybe a diaphragm not working properly?

10. mattd3083

is it a single or double tank truck? I had a similar problem with my 86 f150 double tank. i could drive it, as long as i didnt get on the gas hard it would run ok. if i gave it enough gas to hold speed up a hill or try to get on the gas hard at all it would cut back and sputter. i went through quite a few part changes trying to fix it, distributer/button, plug wires, fuel filter. turns out it was the tank selector, super dirty foul gas in there, probably from the back tank that i never used. i took it totally out of the system. replaced with 2 straight fuel lines and its running great

11. Jordan998

Sorry getting back so late figured it out it was the vapor separator right before the carb. Couldn’t find a replacement so just ran a fuel pressure regulator in place.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >