86 F150 XLT Lariat, runs but will not accelerate or hold speed up hill

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by mattd3083, Dec 3, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mattd3083

I purchased the truck cheap. would not start then, put internal and external fuel pump in one tank(i have only been running the front). drained and cleaned tank, installed new fuel filter. and for a month or so the truck ran fine. Then i started having trouble accelerating or going up hill, if you give the truck gas past about 2k rpm it essentially cuts out/sputters. I can run fine on flat ground or downhill with minimal gas, but i can not excelerate from a stop fast. i have to baby the truck. and uphill i drop to around 40-45 mph.

The truck is 302 fuel injected engine. Since the trouble i have replaced the fuel filter again, the rotor button and dist. cap, plug wires. i have also replaced the thermostat before the trouble. the tank was dropped again recently because it would only take gas slowly, replaced the hose to the tank. I have ran one can of Heet, 1 Stp, and one other fuel system cleaner through it. i tested the fuel pressure and it was running 35 psi or so at idle if i remember correctly, possibly 30. To me it seems that its not getting fuel or fire. we pulled a couple plugs that looked alright. i have tried to check for vacuum leaks and have found none so far. The next 2 things i was thinking to replace would be external fuel pump or the coil.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Disconnect the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator, if it doesn't go up to over 40 psi then it's the fuel pressure regulator, otherwise I would suspect the pump.

3. mattd3083

i disconnected that vacuum line and guess what poured all over my hand? Gas, and a fair amont of it. started the truck with the line off and more gas splashing out without the bloody vacuum line. So, i think i found a problem. i have ordered a new pressure regulator from rockauto. The only trouble i forsee switching it will be the screw heads are on the underside of the part rather than on top like anyone with sense would place them. thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

4. mattd3083

i changed the pressure regulator and im still having the same problem. its not leaking gas through it now though so thats a plus. i will be replacing the external fuel pump again soon as it had a lifetime warantee. considering eliminating the tank selector to take that out of the equation and running a single tank. anyone have any other ideas?

5. mattd3083

problem SOLVED. removed tank selector, running front tank only. replaced with a fuel line replacement pack 20$ from orielys and its back running like a champ i excelerated 65-70 UPHILL and did a burnout on flat ground. there was absolutely nasty gas in the tank selector. filled up and im running some fuel system cleaner in it now to be sure i get as much gunk as i can out of the system.

Tballa0666 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >