86 F250 keeps dying

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by 86F250_7.5_4x4, May 30, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 86F250_7.5_4x4

Okay so I bought this f250 about 2 months ago and was driving it around town never made any huge trips with it, but last week I was going on a 2 hour trip and 20-30 minutes in the truck just randomly dies on the highway, I had to pull to the left side and tried to crank it over, but wouldn't go. I had to wait about 10 minutes then tried it again and it started, but it was running rough. I pulled into a Walgreens and waited about 20 minutes until my dad came up there and we figured it was the fuel filter because the hose was too big for the fittings so we thought it was sucking air. Put the new filter on, started right up and drove it to a gas station not far away. While I was at the station it died again when I just left it sitting. I waited a little bit more and then started it back up (This time it took longer) I waited about 20 minutes in the shade then just said screw it I'm going to see how it does now. I went on the highway and it must of been about 20 minutes again and it dies. So we get it back to my house after that and start trouble shooting. My dad got a fuel pressure guage and apparently it was only shooting out 4 PSI so we went ahead and replaced the fuel pump, but it still keeps dying. I have put a lot of money into this truck so far and want to keep it running, but I can't think of what it would be. Please help. Info on my truck: 1986 F250 7.5 460 4x4, carbureted, automatic.

Tags:
  2. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome to the ZONE!

Get it running and when it cuts out, check for spark. An 86 would have a TFI electronic ignition module. They have a habit of cutting off if they get warm....If it has no spark suspect the TFI module.

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Check the rotor and cap..............
    I have seen cheap aftermarket rotors that the spring-steel center contacts loses contact with the center of the cap when they get hot.

4. 86F250_7.5_4x4

I just replaced them a couple days ago as well.

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Then go with Fabmans advice, the TFI module is on a short list of suspects, especially if it is the kind mounted on the distributor.
    Later F-series have them mounted on the firewall to protect them from heat.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

subscribed
    If not TFI, I will chime in

7. 86F250_7.5_4x4

So far my truck has been running good. I think all it was after all was my fuel pump because this morning I checked under the hood and apparently the guy who owned the truck before me put air hose instead of fuel hose going from the fuel filter to the carb.. Short story short, it had a big hole in it at one of the clamps. I put some fuel hose on it and its running good so far. If it dies again I will start taking suggestions, but my Ignition module is the one mounted on the fender and seems to be fine, so don't think that will give me a problem anytime soon. Anyway, thanks for all of the help guys.

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That means you have a durraspark Igintion
    Your fuel leak is on the pressure side, and won't have any effect on the running, only leak down when not running, causing a hard start

A durraspark when it is starting to fail will shut down when it overheats.
    if you take it off the fender, and look at the bottom, you will see a burnt spot in the gel.
    eventually it will fail, and not re-start
    When replacing the unit, pay attention to the color of the plastic piece where the wires go into the unit, and get a match replacement
    blue, brown, yellow.
    replace with ONLY the color you have on the truck now.

9. 86F250_7.5_4x4

I happened to take off the durraspark box just to check and clean it and it looks fine underneath, little dusty, but fine. My truck has been running fine so far after the fuel pump was replaced and the fuel line fixed.

10. 86F250_7.5_4x4

I happened to take off the durraspark box just to check and clean it and it looks fine underneath, little dusty, but fine. My truck has been running fine so far after the fuel pump was replaced and the fuel line fixed.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >