87 F250 7.5l Power Loss

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by led3roy, Mar 26, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. led3roy

I am not a mechanic to start with but do a lot of my own work on my vehicles.

Starts and Idles fine, but loss of power once in gear/load (even second gear). newer 1406 Edelbroch 600cfm carb. new wires, spark plugs, coil, distributor cap. New see thru fuel filter just before carb and showing plenty of gas. I did not replace the Ford fuel shut off valve that sends fuel back thru a return line and I do not see a color dot to know the right size.

This has been my workhorse for many years then the old holly started leaking fuel out all over it. I had a mobile mechanic look at it and he suggested removal and replacement of carb to the edelbroch and removal of all emission equipment. Truck ran fine for a year after then the trouble started. Has set for several months. Once I found out that the Fuel Shut Off Valve was not a fuel filter, I realised the mechanic never put on a fuel filter. Today I disassembled the carb and cleaned out the carb thoroughly and put it back together. She started right up and idles great, but same power loss issue once in gear.

Any help out there? or should I break down and get her to a good garage?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It could be the fuel pressure regulator, a stuck float in the carb, vacuum line to the distributor (I don't recall if they were still using vacuum advance on those)? I don't recall right off hand if they were using the fuel filters on the frame rail with the 460 then, but if so check that too.

One of you carb guys want to step in here? It's been a long time since I've done anything with a carb, all my expertise for many years is with PCM/EFI Fords.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >