88 bronco hub to 6 bolt locking hub - problems

Discussion in 'Ford Truck Builds' started by treehick, Jan 28, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. treehick

I've done multiple Google searches, parts place searches, and talking with people, adding up to a few-5 hours trying to figure this out, but did the early 90's f150 have different wheel hub sizes and a shaft length?!

A friend convinced me to convert my top hat hub to a 6 bolt locking hub and I went about it the junkyard way. Started with an 88 FS Bronco and pulled the locking hubs off what I thought was a 93 F150.

The wheel hub is approximately 7" (~177mm) in diameter and the 93, 94, and another rotor I tried from AutoZone and Napa had an inside diameter of approximately 6.5" (~165mm). I'd buy a new hub, but then I'm taking a chance of needing a new spindle. I'd rather not restart this whole project.

Also, an 88 bronco's front axle comes to flush with my newer spindle. Does anyone know what years it was longer, and where I could purchase the inner and outer shafts?

Hopefully I can find some answers here. If not, I'll try Ford, then maybe give up.

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

There were no 6 lug f150/ broncos from 80-96
    97 was the first year for 6 lug. The front axle and suspension are different

3. treehick

I was referring to the locking hub cap - didn't mention the lugs.

There are 6 skinny bolts that fasten the cap onto the hub. Versus the top hat design or automatic hub.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Automatic hub requires a kit to change over to manual hub, because the "lock nut" is different.

it is also a discontinued part, and not manufactured by aftermarket
    I used the Milemarker kit on my 94 f 140, and am pleased with the results

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/19...Supreme-Hub-Conversion-Kit/productinfo/32132/
    here is the Warn kit
    https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Ma...rom-Auto-to-Warn-Standard/productinfo/32127K/

As stated above, YOU HAVE TO USE THE KIT
    there is not enough room in there for the manual hub to sit, the snap ring won't seat
    AND the ratchet nut will probably disintagrate coming out. Please repack the wheel bearings when servicing the hubs

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Not sure if I answered your problem, pictures would help if I didn't

7. treehick

Maybe these photos might clear up my issues.

The hub has 5 lug bolts, the spindle is held onto the knuckle by 5 or 6 bolts (I forget) and the locking hub cap is held on to the spindle/hub by 6 bolts.

The axle is flush with the end of the spindle, so I need to find a longer axle, and I can't find a rotor that will fit on my hub, because the hub's diameter is too large.

Am I making any sense?

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 5.22.56 PM.png #ad

20170923_191147.jpg #ad

20170923_223101.jpg #ad

20180129_171718.jpg #ad

8. roscoe 0202

it looks like you have a 5 bolt spindle which is 76 bronco and up I think you need outer axle for earlier dana44.
    roscoe

9. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Not sure why you would recommend an outer axle for an earlier D44.
    What is actually needed is the correct axle for the Spindle & Hub.
    I suggest that the dimension for the spindle be taken to a good parts house (if there remains such a thing).
    Bronco Graveyard, Randy's R&P, Dutchmen, & maybe six states

10. treehick

I'll probably end of taking the measurements to Ford.... IF I decide to keep it.

There's an offer on the table for a 1988 Trooper II 5spd with newer motor plus cash for the bronco. I just don't know if it's a good deal or not.

And I don't know if I want to give up such a cheap truck.

Another option is to go back to the hub setup that was stock and just live with the top hats.

11. roscoe 0202

I have a 77 bronco dana44 axle the spindle is the spindle in the picture the axle for unit bearing is shorter hence shorter outer axle the outer axle for the solid dana 44 with old style bearings should work with rgw spindle in photo.
    roscoe

12. treehick

It dawned on me the other day that I purchase '93 F150 bearings for the hubs. And they fit. Therefore, if I were to purchase new(er) hubs, they should work on the spindles that I have.

Also - a neighbor might be giving me a set of axles from a project he's working on, so I might just do an axle swap and dismiss this whole hub conversion project that I took on.

13. treehick

I've decided to just go back to the top hats. Even if I figure out this issue out, I'll still have to find longer outer front axle shafts for the taller spindles..

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso