Ranger '94 Headlight Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Muel, Dec 27, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Is there a replacement headlight system that will replace the OEM lights and not blind oncoming traffic?
    The OEM headlights were inadequate before they were installed and time has not been kind. I have re-polished and re bulb'd the original lights and it is time yet again!
    Is there something better?

:blackalien:

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Polish is only temporary. I replaced the units, turn signals, markers and all. I guess they should go another 20 years?
    You can buy them on Ebay, but I got mine from keystone for around $50 each

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yup, replace the housings, Silverstars are nice upgrades in bulbs..............Aftermaket LEDs, HIDs might be nice for your seeing down the road, but do nothing but blind and enrage oncoming drivers and have you eating hi-beams all night.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The problem with restoring older headlights is the top layer has an anti-UV coating. That eventually goes cloudy, no plastic can stand up to the sun forever. So the more it's polished, the faster it yellows as the anti-UV coating is polished off unless an UV blocking wax is used regularly.

I checked and there are a lot of replacement housings very cheap on Rock Auto, starting around $16 each and that includes the bulb. NSA certified housings start at $19. Not bad, especially if you use one of the coupon codes they've put here on the site. Note those are the "economy" lights and Rock Auto says in the description "Processes used to produce Economy Line parts may result in striations/markings, uneven edges, etc. This is normal and is not indicative of a defect. "

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I have a project truck, so we will just go ahead and do a thread on this.
    I'll order a set from the Rock this week, and let's just see how they look next to a "old" stock set.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That sounds like a winner! Take a few pics of the install as well -- obvious to you and I but maybe not to a beginner.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You know me and a camera.......
    :woot:

8. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Questioning if the housings that are real clear and W/O all the fluting, compare to the OEM type design?

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

There is a need for the "fluting"
    It moves the light into patterns, that are helpful to the sight of the bulb, AND keep the bulb from being bright in one spot
    Some designs are better than others
    The Lightning trucks of the era of your truck had a pretty decent housing, but I don't think anyone is reproducing that

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >