96 F 150 tailgate won't open. How can I open it?

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Dougbud, Oct 27, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Dougbud

I just bought a 96 F 150. Tailgate won't open. How can I get it open?

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Climb into the back, and look at the inside of the gate, you'll see a plate
    take the plate off, then you see the back side of the latch, and the rods that connect to it

the 2 problems are
    1) plastic attach points that hold the rods to the latch are broken, or
    2) latch is broken

either way, you can pull both rods towards the center of the gate, and it will open

The latch is available aftermarket, and so is the plastic links.

BKW, IDMooseMan and 1970something like this.
  3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

^^^ what the window licker said^^^

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

1996 Ford tailgate access panel.

1996 Ford Tailgate.JPG #ad

5. Dougbud

Thanx as I figured. Liner mount screws are stripped, will grind those off tomorrow if not raining. Not able to lever the latch tongue like on a bow tie.

dustybumpers likes this.
  6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

You might get lucky, and be able to reach in from the side, but usually when the clip breaks, the rod drops down into the gate

Bedliner tailgate bolts are actually the bolts that hold in the tailgate plate. If you can grab them with vice grips or something similar you would be better off.
    Grinding the heads off will require you to figure out how to get the shanks out of the gate

To be honest those bolts aren't in that tight

7. Dougbud

I was considering that. The photo was very helpful. I'm currently one handed. When I can use both I'll pursue the repair. No need to create extra work. Tailgate bent a little may ebd up replacing it . Thanx for your time and info.

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The stock gate is woth straightening out if it isn't all rusted through.
    The replacement gates are half as good, and don't hold up.

I think a new latch is like $20
    Plastic clips $2
    Cables to check opening about $20 for both.

One armed. Been there, done that, good luck on the recovery

IDMooseMan likes this.
  9. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

being one armed bandits for the past 10 months, Charlie and I fully understand where you are coming from.
    and as Charlie also said, the aftermarket tailgates are junk compared to factory.
    if you can not save the one you have, try to find a ford gate in a junkyard or on the internet.
    i find www.car-part.com to be a very good resource when looking for parts.

IDMooseMan likes this.
  10. Dougbud

Thanks dusty. I got the bolts out cover plate off. With some straightening and lube it's functioning. Have it removed while I move some dirt out back. Will go the sandwich between 4×4s and sledge to straighten gate. It is rust free and slightly scratched . Will patch n paint come spring.

11. IDMooseMan Vet Zone TOTM Winner

Glad to hear you got it working.

12. Dougbud

Thanx

13. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Glad you got it going. I give mine a "bath" every once in a while in Fluid Film.
    [​IMG]#ad

dustybumpers likes this.
  14. Dougbud

Hi I'm currently trying to find a local retailer. Who carries Castrol penetrating oil. I've had good results with it. Until then it's P B Blaster. I'm in Pontiac Mi. Used to be able to find C R -56. No joy anymore. But hav'nt been in a NAPA in years.

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I haven't used cr 56 since the Fluid Film came out
    That stuff is awesome. It actually boils when it hits the rust

It's a little expensive if you buy it local
    I buy it online, and get 3 cans for what you pay for one in the parts stores
    You should try it, I bet you will like it as much as the cr 56, if not more

Seabiscuit likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >