97 expedition gem problems but no water or corrosion

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Jd430, Oct 11, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jd430

I have a 97 expedition 4x4 xlt 5.4 . My windshield wipers quit, dome light quit and windows quit, 4x4 also quit. So I have been reading the forums and everyone says gem got wet due to windshield leak . The problem with that is I have no signs of any water leak. I am very confident that it hasn’t been exposed to water. It rained 6 inches in 24 hours I ran garden hose over every inch of windshield seals and poured 5 gallon buckets of water over roof and over windshield. Not a drop of water inside. Even put tissue over place where gem and fuse box were. Not one drop. So my question is can the gem fail without water intrusion. And what else could cause the symptoms that I have experienced. Started just windows didn’t work every once in a while and now nothing mentioned works at all. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Tags:
  2. Jd430

Ok so an update to my post . I have put gem and fuse box back in expedition and everything is working as it should . I’m hoping that all is well. If you have any ideas or theories I would love to hear them

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Maybe a loose connection or bad ground?

4. Jd430

I’m so fed up with this truck woke up this morning and nothing works again .

5. Jd430

I’ve looked all over the truck . Where would I find the most likely bad ground

6. Jd430

Ok here we go again . I replaced the gem and everything worked so I called it a win . Then I woke up this morning and nothing works again. Has anybody got any ideas what the hell is wrong with this truck.?

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

There's no simple any with electrical gremlins.

The water intrusion issue isn't always to the GEM, the fuse box can get that, so check that it's dry, also dry it with a hair dryer and see if that resolves it. Reset the GEM as well, by disconnecting battery power for about 30 minutes, and see if that works.

The GEM itself isn't the only thing that can have a problem from the water intrusion issue, wires in power distribution box can corrode so check that each fuse position is getting power. Other items to check are fusible link and relay to the GEM module. I don't recall right off hand which numbers those are in the fuse box, but the owner's manual should have it.

8. Jd430

Wow ken that was about as helpful as all the other posts that say it got wet. Did you read all of this post there is no water intrusion. Well this forum has been absolutely no help at all .

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You noted you checked around the gem, that's why I said to look elsewhere for signs. And the distribution box issue can happen from condensation, as it is under the hood. Its always going to be either the gem, the relay, fusible link or wires at the distribution box. Someone takes time out of their day to freely answer your question, so why cop an attitude?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >