98 Expedition Eddie Bauer Flashing interior Lights

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by macman_85602, Aug 15, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. macman_85602

Finally I got this in the right place.

I just got a 98 expedition Eddie Bauer and the interior lights flash when the drivers door is open. It is a middle speed flash not super fast and not super slow. I read that this could be the gem module but not sure because I am new to trucks of this vintage. The door ajar light is on some times. I sprayed the door latches out with break cleaner and that made it a little better but I still get the flashing lights when the door is open and if I open any of the other doors the interior lights come on steady. I have been replacing the interior lights but haven't replaced the running board lights yet. Also the drivers side door light works when it wants to . Currently I pulled relay 1 from the cab fuse panel to make the flashing stop but would like to get them all working. I am trying to find a wiring diagram and pin outs for the drivers door plug in the cab.

Thanks.

Scott

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd go to the GEM as a last resort, because even on the newer models if the GEM doesn't get adequate power it'll cause flashing, sometimes with the dash lights.

The GEM module can set codes without turning on the dash light. So I'd scan codes to see if the GEM module has a failure or pending failure. If that passes I'd hunt for something causing a low power issue. Remove the passenger side kick panel and check the ground connections for corrosion and clean if needed, they feed the GEM and PCM.

3. macman_85602

I check the grounds and they are all good. the check engine light is on and there is only an emissions code and i have cleared that (No emissions in my county) I think that the door latch is worn and not working correctly so I may pop open the drivers door and just ground out the switch and call it a day. Right now i have the relay pulled and i can turn the interior lights on manually but would be nice to have them all working including the running board lights. if i can't figure it out i may just get creative. I like the old school push button switches myself.

4. macman_85602

I pulled the wires from drivers door switch and the blinking stopped. Then when i bonded the 2 wires together i got the flashing then when i hooked them to ground the lights work correctly. I have a new door switch that i need to install. also the drivers door lock doesn't work when the other doors are open and when it does work the door light flashes. just little Gremlins to work out.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That'll fix it! It reminds me of the oil light story, though it's not in the safe category of how severe the issue is. The story is basically how someone put black tape over the oil light because it lighting up was bothering them!

Seriously though, it sounds like with a little chasing you'll get this gremlim solved and it's probably just a worn wire somewhere in addition to the switch itself. :)

6. macman_85602

Well last night I tried to install the new switch and seems like I have the same issue with the new one too. even directly grounding the switch and hitting the button isn't working there may be another issue in the wiring that i haven't found yet. now grounding out the wires only works intermittently. It's a puzzle.

7. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

Check for broken wires where they bend between the door an a pillar

8. macman_85602

That is my next move just not wanting to waste a weekend tracking down bad wires

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >