A little help here...

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by thhorseshoeing, Apr 24, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. thhorseshoeing Founding Member

I've been toying with the idea of basically turning my F-150 into an F-250. I want to do so because I love the short wheel base of the 150, it makes getting trailers in and out of tight spaces a lot easier. My truck has a 351 engine so it has the power, I just want a lower gear ratio and to beef up the suspension. I've thought about swapping the rear end and suspension out from an F-250 or F-350, but since the 2 and 350s have a straight front axle I guess I'll have to just re-gear the front end; unless it's possible to convert it fairly cheaply and easily. I have never re-geared a truck before, what all is involved.

I'm the type of person that can build, fix, or make just about anything with little to no instructions. Once I tear into something I can usually figure it out fairly easily, but I like to research things first so I will halfway know what I'm doing...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

you can put heavier axles and springs in, but you will still have the weak 150 frame.
    the 250/350 frame is thicker and larger.

3. thhorseshoeing Founding Member

Yeah I know, but the frame is strong enough for my needs... I really just need a lower gearing and heavier suspension and thought pulling the rear end and suspension from an old 250 would be the cheapest way to go about it... I'm just not sure the best way to go about the front end...

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

front end would either have to come out of an older F150 like a 78 or 79 for the solid axle but still use coil springs.
    but if i remember correctly, a few guys over at FTE used 2005 or newer dana 60 front and rear axles in their F150's to get the solid axle and larger disc brakes. the 2005 and newer 4X4 250's and 350's use front coils springs for smoother ride.. the 04 and older trucks used leaf springs in front.

5. thhorseshoeing Founding Member

I about forgot about the 05 + using coil springs. .. hmm, I like that idea...

6. BKW Founding Member

1976: First year F100/250 4WD's were available with disc brakes.

1977/79 F150 Super Cab 4WD's have leaf spring front suspension.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Bill he's going to want ball joints, not king pins. when did they start?

8. thhorseshoeing Founding Member

If I was to use an axle with a lower gear ratio will I have to do anything to the transmission? Is the driveshaft going to hook up or is anything going to need to be modified? Or is it as simple as taking the rear end out and putting the other one in? I know the front end will take a lot of modifying.

I'm just in the thinking about it stage right now, if I decide to do it I've got a friend that's good at doing stuff like this and he would help me. We've rebuilt several tractors and tore alot of farm equipment apart and rebuilt it, so I wouldn't be flying solo on this project...

9. thhorseshoeing Founding Member

If I do this, I'll probably try to find a junked truck and rob the parts I need then scrap what's left...

10. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

as for the final hookup, i would say you will need probably need to have both driveshafts modified to have the 05+ ends on axle side, and the 95 ends on the t-case side.
    which should not be that big of a deal. just cut the one end off, weld the proper ends on, and have them balanced.

11. thhorseshoeing Founding Member

That's what I figured I'd have to do...

12. BKW Founding Member

1973 F100 4WD = D3TZ-3049-A .. Upper Ball Joint & D3TZ-3050-A .. Lower Ball Joint

If I could figure out how to do it, I'd post the parts catalog pic.

dustybumpers likes this.
  13. ncranchero Founding Member

I have seen a 150/250 4x4 SWB in a small town I travel through. Every time I go through there I look for it. I'd like to look it over and take a few photos.

14. thhorseshoeing Founding Member

I'd like to see it as well... When done I think I'll call it an F-200...

15. macman_85602

Years ago i turned my 83 f150 into a light 3/4 put the 3/4 springs under it along with heaver duty tires. wasent fancy but was able to over load it with 1 ton of hay.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >