A new problem

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by tvpitts, Jun 1, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. tvpitts

I just got done putting my engine back together after something got into #5 cylinder & damage the piston. Have it back in the truck & went to start it, NO oil pressure. The distributor turns, does that mean that the oil pump is turning? When I loosen the oil filter, oil ran out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:
  2. iicap

What is the engine??? Does it use a hex shaft into bottom of the distributor to drive the oil pump??

3. tvpitts

The engine is a 1976 Ford 302. Not sure about the hex shaft. I will check that in the morning. Thanks for the quick response.

4. captchas

should be a 1/4 or 5/16 hex shaft between the dizzy and oil pump.

5. cwrandolph

I would prime the pump and build up pressure before you try to start it again. Use a oil pump priming tool - available at Amazon, Summit, or most any auto parts store. Autozone probably has one available in their free loaner program. Pull the distributor and install the tool in a reversible drill. Insert the tool in the distributor hole and into the oil pump. Run the drill backwards (counter-clockwise) until you get good oil pressure. Re-install the stock drive shaft and then the distributor. Your engine uses a 1/4" hex shaft. Good luck!

6. iicap

Strange as it may seem, if your engine was on a revolving stand when you made the piston repair and had the engine upside down, that hex shaft may have fallen out. I would think you would have seen it on the ground.

7. tvpitts

I think you hit the nail right on the head. There was a lot of oil dry on the floor & I did not hear anything drop. The shaft must have been swept up with the oil dry, because I can not find it.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >