Veterans Zone A True Hero Has Passed Colonel John Glenn, USMC

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Seabiscuit, Dec 8, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Tags:
    KW5413 likes this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Took major guts to get on top of one of those missiles to get hurled into orbit.

3. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

If they made a movie about everything that happened to this one individual in his life, most would assume it was a work of fiction.

RIP Colonel.

KW5413 likes this.
  4. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I had the privilege of meeting John Glenn once. In the 7th grade, one of my classmates was Guy Grissom. His dad was USAF and stationed nearby. We hung out quite a bit together and we were both forwards on the basketball team. Guy's uncle was Gus Grissom. One day, out of the blue with no warning Sister Theresa came into the room, interrupting our class, told us to put our books and papers in our desk and please stand. Right after that, Gus Grissom and John Glenn came walking into the classroom. They were making a "surprise" visit to Guy. I think that was about the closest I ever came to seeing a Nun pass out.
    The mind of a 7th grader can be truly permanently implanted with memories of getting to meet one of his hero's.
    So sadly, a very few short months later, a helo landed in the school lot, and two USAF Officers walked into the classroom and scooped Guy up with nothing more than a "Don't worry about your books, we have to get you to the transport". After they were gone, Sister Theresa, (who was the school principal), came into the classroom and gave us the news about his Uncle, Gus Grissom, and Apolo 1.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

7. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Rush talked at length today about John Glenn, Gus Grissom, and really all the Mercury and Apollo guys. What those guys went through was nothing short of heroics. From being test pilots to sitting on top of rockets and hoping they didn't blow up.

8. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I'm trying to remember exactly which one of the astronauts it was who was about to climb into a space capsule and made the remark:
    "Another fine product of the lowest contract bidder..."

I used to have a model kit of that rocket and it's launch pad.

9. RexB Vet Zone Founding Member

Fair winds and following seas Colonel Glenn, you were an inspiration for bravery as an astronaut and for smarts and honesty as a Senator.

How the years pass.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso