Ac air flow

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by sim559, Aug 5, 2019.

?

low air flow from AC

1. all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. air flow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. sim559

I want to inspect evaporator to see if it is clogged with dirt
    Would it be ok to cut a small hole to view the evaporator using a bore scope where the black circle is?

After another look it looks like i can just remove the fan and have a look from there. Is that possible?
    Thanks

AC.jpg #ad

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Just open the case and have a look 047.JPG #ad

3. sim559

Thanks that is what I was looking for. Can that be done with out discharging the ac system?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yes. Look on the case for the 8mm screws, be careful pulling it apart, there will be 30 years of leaves in there.
    Might want to pull the fan motor while your at it.

Also may want to replace the resistor. They go bad after a whilee.
    You know when the resistor is bad. Fan only works on high

5. sim559

I think I had the fan replaced a few years back. Where is the resistor located? I think leaves are restricting the air flow. Thanks very much for your help.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

All the wires plug into it. You can see it I the picture I posted. to the left of the seam. it's held in with 2 screws, and is a Bi*** to get to the bottom screw, order the wiring harness repair kit with it, your wires will be bad too.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Another thing to check is the blend door inside, behind the evaporator. it usually has come loose, and is not swinging all the way closed, allowing the heater core to put heat in with the a/c. also makes the fan not very effective

8. sim559

The fan only has 2 wires going into it . The white plug only has 2 wires going into it. The white plug could be the resistor but to replace it looks like they have to be cut and reattached.

Img_4757.jpg #ad

9. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

[​IMG]#ad

in this picture Charlie posted, the resister is behind the plug at 9 oclock in the picture right along the center seam of the housing.

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

11. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

tanks. arn't samrt enough to finger out how to do that circle and rightin on pikturs. :banghead:anim

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

That's because your flip phone don't have a pen......

13. sim559

However the one that is on my truck only has 2 wires in and out here is a better picture and so far have not found a replacement The black part should be the resistor the white is just the plug Any suggestions? The high and low work and one other only one setting does not work, but not sure the fan is turning at full speed. Img_4758.jpg #ad
    Img_4759.jpg #ad

IMG_4759.JPG #ad

14. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

that is the plug going into the fan motor. you need to go about 6 inches farther toward the driver side, on the side of the AC box to find the fan resister.

15. sim559

Thanks I found it any way to check to see if it bad? or just remove it and look at it?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso