starter repair

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Buster, Apr 29, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Buster

Here's the scene: I backed my '93 4wd up a steep grade at the back of my property in compound low and unloaded some lumber for a project. Jumped back in and "click", no start. Checked the battery and load tested it, all good. Appears to be the starter. I have power to both sides of the relay when the key is turned. Easy fix, right? Not on this steep hillside, I felt lucky the truck didn't roll while I unloaded the lumber! Auto transmission in park with parking brake on and rear wheels chocked and I am still not comfortable working under it. I was slipping down the hillside just doing the evaluation and crawled under long enough to bang on the starter (old school-didn't work). I mowed the area to get the truck up there and it is very slippery. I believe if it slipped out of park, it wouldn't stay put.

Picture attached.

It would be easier to fix on flat ground but I don't know if power assist brake system will allow me to take the truck out of park and roll down the hill in neutral safely. There is a fence at the bottom of the hill and I don't want to go thru it. I can't get it out of 4wd without rolling (auto lock hubs), I assume it would roll in neutral even with hubs locked?

The single click noise seems to come from the relay, not the starter area. Is this normal for bad starter? I can double check I wasn't just hearing it thru the cable connection.

Suggestions?

truck 3.JPG #ad

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I would get it down on flat ground. ....then work on it.

3. Buster

That's what I want to do. Question is, can I do that using power assist brake system with engine not running? It's been a long time since I did that and I think it was pretty "spongy"

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Low speed, slow decent. You're going to have brakes, just no assist.

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Got another vehicle with a winch to help from behind?
    It may take a lot of pressure, but the brakes will stop you.

6. Buster

I wish I could. I am literally at the top of hill and there is no access from behind.

7. Buster

Thanks for the replies. I think I can do it, I just don't want to go thru that fence!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >