Ford Protect?? ESP?? No, No, No

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by mbenazeraf, Jul 29, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mbenazeraf

For those of you considering buying a 3 or 5 year Extended Service Plan from Ford, make sure that's what you want. I thought I did. I was wrong. Last June, I purchased a 2019 F250 SD 6.2L gasser. I wanted that to pull my 33ft 5th wheel. Good. This truck was still under factory 36/36 until October 2021. I decided to go ahead and buy the ESP. Quick to answer and very quick to take my money, the whole $1,499.26.
    I quickly realize that this truck will not do the job. Struggling to drive my new 5th wheel home from the dealer. Right away, the critics started. You should have bought a diesel. Well, a month later, I traded that truck for a 2020 F250 SD Lariat with the 6.7L diesel. Beautiful truck with a lots of features and only 15000 miles and still under factory 'til 2023. Great.
    Oops! What do I do with that ESP which has not even started yet? After many calls and emails, being cut off 3 times and long wait on hold, I finally got someone. Nice lady with good English for a change. She check and said this policy was canceled. Great. When would I get my refund? Ok, your refund of $1,265.64 will be mailed to you on August 14, that's after more than 2weeks. Wait!!!! I paid $1,499.26. Sorry but that what I am showing as a refund. Can you please explain the difference? Hold on a minute, I'll check. 25 minutes later, I was still on hold and finally hanged up. They are holding $235.00 as penalty for cancelling a policy that was not even in force yet. Ford customer service stinks. Hope for you guys you want need customer service, you'll be in for a shock....

Tags:
  2. DonW

I was in a shock when I found out my GEICO policy has MBD for under 50 bucks a yr on both of our vehicles. Good part it covers everything, not just running gear. Any licensed shop any location. Can be placed on any vehicle under 20,000 miles at inception. Screw these extended warranties!

3. ifallsguy

That's why I always make big payments with a CC. I would have bought the warranty with a CC and when they failed to refund in total, complained to the CC company. I use AMEX since they are great in customer service and protection.

Also the ESP is in effect from the moment you purchase it.

4. mbenazeraf

I did use a CC, but my request was about a month later. I don't think my bank can do anything about it. Not sure about your comment but I was told that the coverage will begin at the end of the factory warranty. I guess someone lied to me...

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Dealers can and often do markup extended warrantees, so maybe they padded it? If they didn't get back to you on the phone with the reason, maybe if that's how much they sent to Ford?

DonW likes this.
  6. mbenazeraf

I believe what you're saying, but that was not the case. I didn't buy the extended warranty from the dealer. I called Ford Protect directly.

7. ifallsguy

You need to file a complaint with your CC. It may be over 30 days but they may go to bat for you. Also the ESP is in effect when you purchase. They start paying for claims after the factory warranty is done. I've had 3 extended warranties I canceled when I replaced the vehicles. I received a prorated amount (no charges but they divided the amount paid by the number of months I had it). I received the amount not used minus a $75 "service charge".

What did the contract say about early cancelation? They may have a line about a higher percentage withheld if you cancel within a time period (6 or 12 moths????).

8. mbenazeraf

Well, now that you mention that, I never got a copy of the contract, just in invoice. I'm not going to fight it, I may need they service later on. My bad....

9. ifallsguy

If this dealer didn't give you a copy of the contract, as required by state and federal laws, I wouldn't trust them for anything. Find another dealer!!! I wouldn't purchase another vehicle from this dealer nor would I trust them for ANY service on a vehicle I own.

BTW, who issued the refund? Dealer or Ford ESP? If it's the dealer I'd bet they never sent it to Ford ESP and pocketed your payment themselves. And if it's the dealer who refunded, they kept their commission they would have received from Ford for the sale. And they hoped you would not need the ESP at another dealer who would tell you there was no contract. Seen this before with a GM dealer.

10. mbenazeraf

I received the refund check today. Short of $235.00 for a plan that I did not use and was supposed to start at the end of the factory warranty. Go figure.....

11. DonW

I seriously doubt I'd ever have anything to do with that dealer!!

ifallsguy likes this.
  12. BigBlue Vet Zone

Hi Guys, I am looking into buying the ESP myself. Stopped by the dealer today and they quoted me 6YR 100 Deduct, 150,000, $4120.00 and 5 YR 100 Deduct, 150,000, $3800.00. I checked FLOOD ESP (www.floodfordesp.com) and for the same options 5YR $3225.00, 6 YR $3535.00, 7 YR $4230.00, and 8 YR $4860.00. Thoughts? There is nothing that states LABOR is covered in any program. Is it? Also, I tried to find an answer to roadside assistance TOWING. Just says 24/7/365 assistance included. What about mileage fees? Mileage distance? Hook up fee? "TOWING" does NOT define what is all included in the program.
    • Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, including holidays
    • Towing for warranty and non-warranty problems, including accidents

Has anyone REALLY used this program?

13. RunningRigging

Greetings,
    What's "MBD"? :)
    PS: Love your Avatar!!
    Gary

DonW likes this.
  14. DonW

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. But found out Geicowas screwing me after 20 yrs!! Dropped them. Thanks on the AVATAR!

RunningRigging likes this.
  15. captchas

coming from a guy who was a German brand dealer service manager and a factory district service manger, DON"T buy one, yes the dealer makes some big dollars on the sale that's why they push them, i always tell my friends to take that amount of dollars the dealer wants and BANK it for that possible rainy day ,
    chances are more to you that you may never need it or more likely that the car or truck will be sold or traded in before you need to fix something major leaving a nice rainy day fond for yourself

RunningRigging likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >