Aftermarket Back-up Camera

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by whomrig, Jan 7, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I am in the market for an aftermarket back-up camera for the F-150
    I was out looking at a wireless system that has the monitor in the rear view mirror
    Has anyone had experience with a wireless camera/monitor system?
    Should I go with a hard-wired system that also has the monitor in the rear view mirror?
    How much should I expect to pay for it? Is there a better brand than another?
    Thanks

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I did the wireless in my box truck, and it jumps in and out all the time.
    I am going to replace it with a hard wire camera

I used a monitor on the dash, bought the whole kit on Ebay for $79

3. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

That is good to know, thank you.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I ran into the same problem. They work great in cars but I think the distance and all the extra metal a truck has cuts the signal quality down. I tried two different brands before I gave up. I don't remember which, it was 2-3 years ago. In my crew cab you couldn't get a picture at all with one of them with the driver door closed!

In a car you're looking at nothing but seats between the screen up front and the camera on the bumper, except for one layer of sheet metal (trunk lid backside). In a truck there's two layers of sheet metal in the tail gate, another layer at the front of the bed, and the back of the cab adds a forth layer.

5. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

So it looks like a hard-wired setup will be the way to go. Now if I can find one that is not 600 bucks
    Thanks guys

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

7. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Thank you for the info Charlie.
    I will check that out.

8. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have 3 problems with the one I put in my pickup.
    • The previously described jumping in and out / snowy picture and sometimes you have a picture and sometimes not.
    • The other thing I learned is the size of the screen you have. I have a 3" screen and it is nearly worthless for seeing much, unless you have the Queen Mary back there.
    • The other problem (if you want to call it that) is that my wireless backup receiver is on the same frequency as many wireless Security Systems. So while driving down the road, the screen suddenly comes on (much more reliably than when I put it in reverse) and there you are being annoyed by cars in a show room, auto parts on a shelf, someone's living room......still waiting for the model in the shower:giggle:anim....
    And thanks Charlie, I think I'm going to give the ones you linked a closer look in a bit. Got so frustrated with the system I have that I pulled the screen down a few weeks ago and pitched it onto the back seat floor board.

9. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

10. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

That sounds cool, I was also wondering if I can use camera from "X" brand and use a "Y" brand monitor. I think I am in favor of the monitor in the rear view mirror too.
    Thank you

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If the screen and camera both use composite video then you can mix and match them. Most should support composite. Composite plugs look like this:
    600px-Composite-video-cable.jpg #ad

dustybumpers likes this.
  12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

They all mix and match, you use the cctv / rca cables.
    Jim, the second link is the monitor I have, I velcro'd it to the dash in a spot it is out of the way
    I keep mine on all the time, and use the remote to turn it off when I drive at night, as it can be bright going down the road.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

you beat me to it Ken.....LOL

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  14. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Thanks Ken and evryone

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Great minds think alike!

dustybumpers likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >