Aftermarket Towing Mirror Install

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by bigrigfixer, Dec 26, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Here it is! Got an early Christmas present yesterday, so I installed them when I got home from work. Anyway, on to the tech.

Here's a before pic.

First thing to be done is to remove the two 6 mm hex head screws along the bottom edge of the inner door panel.

Then remove the power window switch panel and unplug it.

Remove the little cover behind the door release handle to reveal an 8 mm hex head bolt.

There's also a small cover in the bottom of the grab hole covering another 8 mm hex head bolt. Remove those bolts. Then, supporting the bottom of the inner door panel, lift up and away from the door.

I didn't take a picture of this part, but the door release cable is still attached to the release handle. I was in a rush and left it hanging for both sides. Also, on the drivers side panel is the power mirror control knob that has to be disconnected.

Anyway, here is what the mirror mount looks like behind the panel.

Picture shows the mirror harness is unplugged. The mounting nuts are 11 mm, my mirror kit didn't come with nuts so I reused my original ones.

And, without getting into too much detail, installation is the reverse...

Some reviews I read on this kit mentioned the harness was a little difficult to plug in to the new mirrors, so I knew to be careful going in. With the left side I mounted the mirror tight before plugging it in and that's where I ran into issues. Because the mirror plug was a little different than the stock one, it didn't quite fit into the hole properly and needed some minor adjustment. All I had to do was loosen the mirror off again to relieve stress on the plastic around the connector, and the harness plugged right in. Retightened the mirror nuts and it was good to go. With the right side, I just started the nuts a couple threads then plugged it in, skipping the run around. Also, trying to get the little cover plate behind the door release handle was a bit of a challenge as I don't normally do this stuff at home. Had I known my mirrors were here before I left work, I would have brought home my pick set. Other than that, I had no issues, and start to finish was less than an hour to install both.

Here's a couple after photos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_vms_8BgNx/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/_vmobXhgNp/

Tags:
  2. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Well, I couldn't add more than 5 pics so here they are if you don't want to click the link...

The after pictures (again)

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Really nice mirrors. Fit and finish looks OEM!

bigrigfixer likes this.
  4. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

This definitely an improvement good job

bigrigfixer likes this.
  5. martinbrown67

Great work we also installed it last month in our towing truck which we use for towing.

6. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I installed a set of those mirrors on my 02 simply because they're much better than the tow mirrors that came out on the truck from the factory!

7. Brown Falcon Vet Zone Oregon Chapter

Those look great!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >