Diesel Air Conditioning Issues

Discussion in '1999 - 2007 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Campspringsjohn, Jul 29, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

My 02 is doing something weird. The A/C actually works better, blows colder while sitting at idle than it does going down the road. A friend told me that the dryer could be bad. It was just charged, replaced the condenser and orifice tube, but still can't really cool down going down the road. I also installed a shut-off valve on a heater hose, so that heat is not getting in the cab any more either. Anybody got any other ideas as to what might be the problem? A new dryer was ordered, and will be installed soon. Also, I have heard that a smaller orifice tube may help, but I don't know what size to get.

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I usually replace the orifice tubes with a red one when I open the system

Another overlooked problem I find frequently, is bugs and critters in the condenser
    You need to pull the grill and clean it out, and "comb" the fins back open, over time they become corroded, and flattened out.
    Look also between the radiator and condenser for leaves etc, to stop up the air flow.

Always replace the dryer any time you open the system, it contains dissicant, which absorbs moisture, and over time it becomes useless anyway

Campspringsjohn and JWC 3 like this.
  3. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Thanks Charlie! I will be doing that here in a few days!

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

No prob. Make sure to vacuum the system down before you charge it, that way you get the proper charge.
    Could be you have the wrong charge in the system too.

I have a evaporator core replacement article to post as soon as I fix my lap top, that will take you through all the steps on the dryer.
    Parts are on the way for the laptop, so sometime this week I hope to post the article.
    All my pictures are in that laptop, and the power board took a poo

5. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I don't have all the tools for pulling a vacuum on the system. But, I have friends that do! The parts have been ordered, and the work will likely be done this weekend.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Cool.
    Discharge the system before you start
    Make sure to replace any o rings you disturb.
    Use pag oil to lube the o rings when you slip the line back together, and pag oil on the orifice when you push it in the evaporator
    I spray silicon lube into the area where the tool goes in to open the hoses before I try to open them
    once you do that, take the tool, and push it in and out a few times to let the silicon get under the spring
    Push the hose towards the tool and the tool towards the hose, then tug the hose, it will pop right open

CLEAN EVERYTHING. no dirt or dust allowed.

Once you have it buttoned back up, put the vacuum on it, and pump it down. make sure it holds without the pump running for 30 minutes.
    If it holds put in 2 1/2 cans while the engine is running, and the compressor is on, and your good to go!

JWC 3 likes this.
  7. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Sorry for not getting back on this. Installed the red orifice tube and replaced the dryer, and the A/C has never worked better!

JWC 3 likes this.
  8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Cool!. Glad it worked . Thanks for letting us know

JWC 3 likes this.
  9. SpringerPop Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Fixed Intermittent A/C, 2000 F-350
    A/C has been intermittent for a while now, and since summer's coming up soon, I thought I'd better get out that ol' Round Tuit.

Every time it went inop, merely touching the high-pressure limit switch connector restored operation. For a while.

It wasn't a bad switch, it was a bad connector (or maybe the last couple of inches of wire leading to it),

I thought to myself, what are the chances of this connector being available? Turns out, when I Google'd it, a YouTube video popped up with an Excursion. Though the guy didn't show the part number on the box, it gave me hope that an aftermarket connector was out there somewhere.

Turns out that my local O'Rielly's had one in stock. Hmmmm, this must be a more-common problem than I thought...

The connector is a Murray part number 37235, and costs ten bucks. It has four pigtail wires coming out of it, and the instructions say to determine which two will be needed, and simply cut the other two off.

After soldering, shrink-sleeving, tape-wrapping, and split-looming, the harness looks like the real deal.

Works like it, too.

Now, on into Summer, SoCal!

Pop

[​IMG]#ad

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Glad you got it Pop.

11. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I'll have to remember this should this issue ever come up! Thanks Pop!

12. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Bump! (2 years!)

I just picked one up today (local O'Reilly's had it......)

I'll switch it out tomorrow. Dad has a good solder gun and electrical kit.

Hopefully that'll work!

Worse comes to worse, it doesn't fix the issue, but I have a brand new connector which cost me a whopping $9.

Thanks for pointing me here. That GD intermittent cold air/warm air is driving me to freaking distraction!!! Especially with all the $$$ on upgrades I've been doing to the truck! An issue with the AC is just a slap in the face.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  13. SpringerPop Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

XDM45 and Campspringsjohn like this.
  14. XDM45 Vet Zone Founding Member

Damn! The "8" on that 8mm socket is HUUUUUGE! :D

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  15. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

That's because us older guys like big print!

XDM45 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >