ALT Light On - Battery Replaced - Starts Up, Dies out when Put into Gear.

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by BtorSixty, Aug 22, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. BtorSixty

Hey all -
    Just had the truck running yesterday after replacing the battery from 2018.
    It definitely needed replacing. Once I got the new battery in, it started up instantly, and I drove it around for about 20 minutes or so before parking it in the garage.
    I did notice that the ALT light was on, however.
    I went to drive it today locally to get it registered in state - was able to start it up on the second try, however once I put it into R, it just died out.
    Did this a few times with the same result.

So with a new battery - I'm guessing it has something to do with the alternator and a wire perhaps?
    Quite new here so any help is appreciated.

2. BtorSixty

this is for a 1972 F-100 Custom.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Take it by a nearby Autozone. They will test the alternator for free. :)

4. iicap

Do you have anything more to report on your Alternator Light and stalling problem?? Cap

5. RP67F100

I would start by putting a volt meter on the battery with it running, if alternator is charging it should read 13.8-14.2 volts. Is the alternator belt tight and not slipping on the pulley? Not quite sure why it dies out , if the battery has enough juice to restart the engine it should be enough to keep it running, even if the alternator isn’t charging. May want to look at a loose ignition wire or coil wire. Some times the small lead from the coil to distributor will get a bad spot and ground out
    Good luck

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >