American built Nissan?!

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by Critter, May 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

My other project is the slow monsterization of my 04 Nissan Xterra.

I bought this thing back in 2011 as a back up to the wife's 99 Explorer. Turned out to be a good idea. Transmission died in that Explorer.

When I bought her a new car, I started messing with the Nissan. Bumpers, steps, tires, etc.

But that little 2.4L is getting tired lugging around an extra 500lbs of steel armor.

The Plan: 351W/ZF/9" power train replacement. And I think I have a way to solidly pass TX emissions with it.

Tags:
    FTZ Peggy likes this.
  2. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

It's hard to call a lot of vehicles "foreign" anymore. Here in the south, there are loads of factories that either assemble the vehicles or make the parts for them. I know we have Honda, Hyundai, and Mercedes. Then there's Rehau, Yutaka, DAS and RAPA. Plus you have VW and BMW here in the south as well as the "American" auto makers. I guess with the downfall of Detroit, many jobs are coming south.

I know that union is a four letter word out here, so that may have something to do with it.

3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

We have a Nissan plant 40 miles from my house , and a Nissan engine plant 30 miles to the south . I have friends and family that work at both .
    American made ain't what it use to be !

FTZ Peggy likes this.
  4. BKW Founding Member

Nissan Titan, Armada and the Infiniti QX56 (based off the Armada) are assembled in Corinth Mississippi.

Several years ago, Nissan moved their US corporate headquarters from Garden Grove CA to Mississippi.

The (former) Saturn plant that GM erected in Spring Hill TN was not a UAW plant.

The 1989 Mercury Tracer was the first vehicle assembled at FoMoCo's Hermosillo Mexico plant. Today the Fusion and the "rebadged" Lincoln version are assembled there, as was the now cancelled Mercury version.

1981 thru today, the VIN of all vehicles sold in the US have 17 digits. The first digit decodes to the country of origin. 1 = US ~ 2 = Canada ~ 3 = Mexico. I cannot recall if 4 refers to South Korea or not. 5 is also being used, but for what, I dunno.

The only thing I know about the Nissan Xterra is...it has the least amount of legroom of any vehicle sold in the US. As I recall, it's 38.5." If you're over 6' tall, lotsa luck fitting in this cramped thing.

And btw: 2015 is the first year that Mustang's have a tilt and telescopic steering wheel. HURRAH! I can finally fit in one.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

I mean that this American will be building a monster Nissan. Also, didn't Hyundai just open a plant in the low country of GA?

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Custom builds Can be cool !
    Many in my area put SBC drivetrains in Nissan trucks back in the 90,s .

7. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

KIA built a plant out there but I'm not sure about Hyundai. Porsche is also locating its new US headquarters in Atlanta.

8. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

9. BKW Founding Member

Kia is owned by Hyundai, AFAIK, both now have assembly plants in the US.

And, at one time, believe it or not...Rolls-Royce's were assembled in Springfield MA

Known as the American Rolls-Royce, plant opened in the mid 1920's, closed in the early 1930's due to the Depression.

Charles Rolls, Henry Royce's partner, has the 'distinction' of being the first passenger killed in an airplane crash, which occurred in 1910.

FTZ Peggy likes this.
  10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Yes KIA is owned by Hundai now .
    KIA Has been around for a Long time ! Building machinery and trucks , military equipment ...
    American made does not = American owned !

11. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

True... True...

JWC 3 likes this.
  12. BKW Founding Member

Next time y'all are considering buying a Mitsubishi, don't forget they were the makers of the Japanese Zero fighter plane that dominated the skies during the first years of WWII

OldjunkFords likes this.
  13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Many of the Old Jap. makes were involved in the War effort . As were many German companies . No one thinks about BMW .....Etc .

14. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They also built the bombers and torpedo bombers that put most of the US pacific fleet on the bottom of Pearl Harbor.

15. BKW Founding Member

Of the circa 100 combatant ships in Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, very few were actually sunk.

BB's Arizona, California, West Virginia and Oklahoma sunk. Nevada, the only BB to get underway, was beached on Hospital Point to prevent her from sinking. DD's Cassin and Downes sunk, Shaw sunk after her forward section ahead of the stack was blown off by a bomb. Photographer captured the moment, was one of the most famous pics taken during WWII

Admiral Furlong's flagship, the ancient minelayer Ogallala sunk, was moored outboard of the cruiser Helena, torpedo passed under Ogallala, exploded against the Helena. Explosion opened seams on the Ogallala which was towed to 1010 dock. Ogallala hardly ever moved from her berth. At one time, a seabird built a nest in her funnel! Some people said the ship died of fright.

Target ship Utah sunk, it was a former Florida class BB. Old cruiser Raleigh prevented from capsizing, fast acting crew procured some pontoons, lashed them to her hull.

And, as I recall, that's it.

btw: In the film Tora Tora Tora, actor Jason Robards Jr. portrayed General Short, the US Army's commander. 7 December, Robards was a radioman on the light cruiser Honolulu which was berthed with other cruisers in the Navy yard.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    dustybumpers likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso